Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

entertainment

200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >

Jason Aldean releases 'I Won't Back Down' for charity

NEW YORK (AP) — Jason Aldean's moving rendition of "I Won't Back Down" on "Saturday Night Live" will soon be raising money to help victims of the Las Vegas shooting.

The song was made available on Friday on various sites. Aldean's representative says all proceeds will be donated to the Direct Impact Fund dedicated to victims of the tragedy.

Aldean was performing at the Route 91 Harvest Festival on Oct. 2 when a gunman fired on the crowd a hotel room, killing 58 people. Hundreds more were injured.

The country star made his first public performance on "SNL" five days later and sang the Tom Petty song. It was in part a tribute to the late rocker, who died that week, but also a show of resiliency in the face of tragedy.

Remembering the Loss of Some Legendary ‘Street Survivors”

One of rock’s most endearing and star-crossed bands suffered its greatest tragedy 40 years ago this week and a movie on that awful day won’t be seeing the light of day anytime soon.

There was a film in the works with former drummer Artimus Pyle as a consultant called “ Street Survivors: The True Story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash ”. A judge, however, has blocked distribution of the flick due to a “blood oath” the guys in the band took  years ago .

The film centers around October 20, 1977, the day Lynyrd Skynyrd’s plane crashed in Louisiana and killed Ronnie Van Zant, Steve and Cassie Gaines. This tragedy came just three days after the release of their album, “ Street Survivors ”.

Behind the Music (@ 19:30)

Thankfully this did not spell the end for Skynyrd,…

First reunion after the crash – 1979

,…culminating in a long overdue induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.Rock in 2006.

Though Gary Rossington is the sole survivor of the original lineup, they are still going strong to this day.

Ex-prosecutor to sue Cosby accuser, alleging personal injury

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A former district attorney who declined to press sexual-assault charges against Bill Cosby in 2005 has filed the beginnings of a lawsuit against Cosby's accuser in Philadelphia.

An attorney for Bruce L. Castor says the personal-injury complaint will claim Andrea Constand sued Castor for defamation in 2015 so he would lose the prosecutor's race. The winner, Kevin Steele, had criticized Castor's handling of the Cosby case.

Castor's lawyer James Beasley Jr. tells The Philadelphia Inquirer paperwork filed earlier this month will lead to a lawsuit seeking more than $50,000 in damages.

A lawyer representing Constand's attorneys says the potential lawsuit sounds "legally deficient."

Cosby is charged with knocking out Constand with pills and sexually assaulting her at his home near Philadelphia in 2004. He says the encounter was consensual.

Norman Rockwell's 3 sons seek to halt sale of his artworks

BOSTON (AP) — Norman Rockwell's three sons were among several people who went to court on Friday seeking to halt a museum's plans to sell 40 works of art, including two by him.

A complaint seeking a temporary restraining order filed in Berkshire Superior Court alleges the board of trustees at the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield contracted with Sotheby's for a public auction of the works before it announced its plans publicly, acted in breach of its fiduciary duties and trust and acted without legal authority to sell the art.

The planned sale is against Massachusetts laws establishing the museum, which requires the museum to maintain any gifts it receives "for the people of Berkshire County and the general public," the complaint says.

"Once sold, it is highly unlikely that any of the pieces will remain in Berkshire County or in a public institution where they can be seen and enjoyed," the complaint says.

Besides Thomas, Jarvis and Peter Rockwell, the plaintiffs include two local artists and several members of the museum. They are represented by the Boston law firm Foley Hoag LLP.

The museum has consistently stood by its decision to sell the art.

"We believe we have strong legal grounds for our deaccessioning and we are confident in our new vision plan which will allow this important local museum to continue to contribute to the educational and cultural life of this region for another century," trustees president Elizabeth McGraw said in a statement on Friday.

The museum came under intense national and local criticism after it announced in July that is was auctioning the art.

The American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Art Museum Directors said in a joint statement that the sale violated a sacred museum rule that collections are not to be sold to pay bills.

The works for sale include Rockwell's "Shaftsbury Blacksmith Shop" and "Shuffleton's Barbershop," both of which the illustrator gave as gifts to the museum when he lived in nearby Stockbridge. Works by Alexander Calder, Albert Bierstadt and George Henry Durrie also are on the auction block.

Museum trustees and officials say the museum is in dire financial straits and may close for good if it doesn't sell the works. They say it is hoped that the sale will raise as much as $60 million, which will be used to boost the endowment by $40 million, with the other $20 million being used to renovate the museum as it changes its mission to focus more on natural history and science.

The complaint says the museum's financial troubles are greatly exaggerated.

WATCH: Joe Buck Reads 21 Seasons Of Mostly Bad Fox TV Show Promos During MLB Playoffs

Since 1996, Joe Buck has been the voice of MLB’s postseason. Also since 1996, he has been forced to read promos for many (mostly failed) Fox TV shows. Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we? (From You Tube description)

Selena to receive Hollywood Walk of Fame Star on Nov. 3

On the heels of a popular Google Doodle this week honoring Selena Quintanilla Pérez, the pop culture icon will now posthumously receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Nov. 3.

>> Read more trending news

“Before there was JLo, Shakira or Beyoncé, there was a transformative female artist called Selena,” said Otto Padron, president of Meruelo Media and sponsor of the tribute, in a statement. “Selena is one of the most influential music icons of the 20th century. Her music, style and smile are timeless, and now her star will grace (Hollywood, California) forever.”

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce last summer selected to honor Selena in its recording category, along with other performers including John Legend, Clarence Avant, Ice Cube, a posthumous honor for Jerry Goldsmith, Hall & Oates, *NSYNC and New Edition.

On Selena’s Facebook fan page, music lovers expressed a similar sentiment that the honor was long overdue.

“A dream come true,” wrote fan Hadeer Sinawe. “She deserved this even before her death.”

Texas native Eva Longoria will join Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to proclaim Nov. 3 as official “Selena” Day in Los Angeles.

On March 31, 1995, Selena’s former fan club president Yolanda Saldivar fatally shot Selena at a Days Inn motel in Corpus Christi. But for many fans of the Tejano superstar, who was on the brink of crossing over to the English-language music market, Selena’s legacy lives on.

In honor of her Walk of Fame addition, check out our playlist of Selena songs:

Trump drawing of Empire State Building sells for $16,000

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A sketch of the Empire State Building drawn by President Donald Trump has sold at auction for $16,000.

Julien's Auctions says the 12-inch-by-9-inch black marker depiction of the iconic New York City skyscraper was created by Trump for a charity auction in Florida during the time he opened his Mar-a-Lago estate as a private club in 1995.

Julien's says the piece signed by Trump went for less than $100 the first time it was sold. It was estimated to go for $8,000 to $12,000 at the auction that took place in Los Angeles and online Thursday.

The buyer has not been named.

The auction house says a portion of the proceeds of the sale are going to benefit WHDD-FM, a National Public Radio station in Connecticut.

Whitesnake to Release Live 'Purple Tour' CD and DVD

Whitesnake's 2015 tour celebrating singer David Coverdale's time in Deep Purple will be commemorated with a new live album and concert film scheduled for release later this year.

Continue reading…

Tom Petty Fans Organized a Vampire Walk to Celebrate His Birthday

The night before what would have been Tom Petty's 67th birthday, a group of fans convened along the Southern California thoroughfare name-checked in his classic hit single "Free Fallin'."

Continue reading…

Fox News duped by phony military hero, removes false story

NEW YORK (AP) — Fox News Channel has removed a false story from its website, saying it was duped by an artist the network highlighted as a Vietnam veteran, a member of the first U.S. Navy SEAL team and a much-decorated war hero.

The report, which aired Oct. 8, focused on 72-year-old glass artist John Garofalo, who "despite health issues" emerged from semi-retirement to create a four-foot-high, 150-pound glass-and-bronze presidential seal he said he hoped to present to President Donald Trump.

The report — captioned "Decorated War Hero Hopes to Honor Trump With Glass Presidential Seal" — included numerous details of Garofalo's alleged military past.

"Unfortunately, all of Garofalo's claims turned out to be untrue," Fox News said in a statement issued Thursday. "The fact is that he did not serve in Vietnam. He was never a U.S. Navy SEAL. Even though he showed us medals, Garofalo was not awarded two Purple Hearts or any of the other nearly two dozen commendations he claimed to have received, except for the National Defense Service Medal."

The story, by Fox News correspondent Bryan Llenas, displayed Garofalo's work in progress which it described as a tribute to his hero, Trump, who "woke something up in me," Garofalo said. "I have hope for him and I have hope for the country."

Host Eric Shawn closed the story by saying, "God bless John Garofalo. We certainly hope the president is listening."

In the network's lengthy statement, which it characterized as a correction, not a retraction, Fox News said, "It is true that Garofalo is a glass artist and a veteran. He served in Spain and he gifted two presidential seals to Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

"Over the last two weeks, we've worked with Garofalo's family and the National Personnel Records Center to get to the bottom of a military past that Garofalo had claimed to be covert. We apologize to our viewers, especially veterans and servicemen and women," Fox News said in its statement.

Along with the statement posted on its website, the network said it planned to offer an on-air correction Friday.

200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >