Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Former Obama adviser: Trump has done “far more” to disrespect our country and flag than football players

An adviser to former President Barack Obama slammed President Donald Trump, saying that he has done “far more” to disrespect our country and our flag than any NFL football players who protest the national anthem.

In a tweet Friday, former national security adviser Ben Rhodes wrote, “Trump has done far more to disrespect our country and our flag than any football player, including these constant attacks on black athletes.”

Trump has done far more to disrespect our country and our flag than any football player, including these constant attacks on black athletes. https://t.co/65NInQNWzL — Ben Rhodes (@brhodes) November 24, 2017

Rhodes’s tweet was in response to President Trump’s tweet where he blasted NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, saying that he’s “lost control of the hemorrhaging league.”

RELATED: “Great disrespect!”: Trump called out a star NFL running back for his display in Mexico

“Can you believe that the disrespect for our Country, our Flag, our Anthem continues without penalty to the players. The Commissioner has lost control of the hemorrhaging league. Players are the boss!” Trump tweeted early Friday morning. Can you believe that the disrespect for our Country, our Flag, our Anthem continues without penalty to the players. The Commissioner has lost control of the hemorrhaging league. Players are the boss! https://t.co/udXP5MR8BC — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 24, 2017 President Trump has repeatedly blasted the NFL for not implementing a rule that would require players to stand for the national anthem or be fired if they didn’t. NFL owners and players met in New York City last month to discuss players protesting police brutality and social injustice. The meeting did not result in a rule change, though. The current policy states that players “should” stand for the anthem but doesn’t state that they “must” stand for the anthem. After the meeting, the NFL  and the players’ union issued a joint statement, which read: Today owners and players had a productive meeting focused on how we can work together to promote positive social change and address inequality in our communities. NFL executives and owners joined NFLPA executives and player leaders to review and discuss plans to utilize our platform to promote equality and effectuate positive change. We agreed that these are common issues and pledged to meet again to continue this work together. RELATED: Thanksgiving is over and President Trump is piping mad about a player who took a knee

Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named Time's person of the year

President Donald Trump tweeted Friday that he “took a pass” at being named Time magazine’s “Person of the Year,” but the company’s chief content officer said there “wasn’t a speck of truth” in the president’s social media comment, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

“Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named ‘Man (Person) of the Year’ like last year, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot,” Trump tweeted from his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, where he is spending his Thanksgiving holiday. “I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!” Trump wrote. 

The magazine issued a statement that disputed the President’s tweet, CNN reported.

“The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. TIME does not comment on our choice until publication, which is December 6,” the magazine wrote on its Twitter feed.

Time Inc.’s chief content officer, Alan Murray, tweeted that the President's tweet didn't have “a speck of truth.”

“Amazing. Not a speck of truth here — Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named TIME's person of the year,” Murray tweeted.

The President was named Time’s “person of the year” in 2016 after his victory over Hillary Clinton. 

Florida teen in custody at border, is ‘person of interest’ in grandmother’s death

A 15-year-old Florida teen is in custody at the U.S.-Canada border, hours after police discovered the body of a woman believed to be his missing grandmother in a shallow grave near the boy’s home, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reported.

Logan Tyler Mott was detained by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection as he tried to enter Canada from Buffalo, New York, sheriff’s deputies said.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office had called Mott “armed and dangerous” and a person of interest in the death of his grandmother, 53-year-old Kristina June French.

Mott was being watched by French at her Neptune Beach home while his father, a Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office corrections officer, was on vacation.

Mott’s mother, Carrie Campbell-Mott, said the boy’s father, Eric Mott, was on vacation with his girlfriend. Eric Mott took an Uber home from the airport Wednesday after French never showed up to get them, Campbell-Mott said.

When they got home, the door to their home was open and the house was ransacked, Campbell-Mott said.

Eric Mott's guns were missing from a gun safe, Campbell-Mott said. French’s home in the Mayport area also was ransacked. Her weapons were gone, along with her Dodge Dart.

Mott and French were reported missing after Logan didn't show up to high school on Monday or Tuesday. French also didn't show up for work Monday or Tuesday. A warrant was issued for his arrest Thursday on a charge of auto theft, deputies said.

Originally, deputies believed that Tyler Mott and French may have been traveling together in the Dodge Dart. A missing child alert was issued by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The teen and the missing vehicle were spotted Thursday on surveillance video in south central Pennsylvania, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reported.

In a statement, Campbell-Mott she was “relieved” that her son was in custody.

“We just ask for everyone to give us time to sort out what happened,” Campbell-Mott said. “That no matter what, Logan is our child and we love him and are standing by him to help in any way. We want to find out what happened to Kristina and we need time for that to happen.”

Campbell-Mott said a sheriff’s detective will fly to meet Logan on Saturday.

In a statement, the May Institute, a nonprofit organization that employed French, said it was “truly devastated” to learn of her death.

“Kristina was a friend and a role model to so many people. … She was a true champion for people with disabilities and advocated tirelessly for human rights.

“We have lost a beautiful person and she will be dearly missed. It is a very sad day.”

David Cassidy's daughter reveals what she learned from father’s last words

Days after “The Partridge Family’s” David Cassidy passed away from organ failure, his daughter Katie vowed to make the most out of time with her loved ones as she revealed her late father’s last words.

>> Read more trending news

“Words cant express the solace our family’s received from all the love & support during this trying time,” the actress tweeted on Saturday. “My father’s last words were ‘So much wasted time.’ This will be a daily reminder for me to share my gratitude with those I love as to never waste another minute….thank you.”

The 30-year-old actress had a complicated relationship with her father for most of her life, having been raised by her mother and model Sherry Williams and her stepfather Richard Benedon.

“Because I didn’t raise her, I didn’t have to parent her,” David told PEOPLE in 2009. “I’m always here and totally nonjudgmental. To be able to go to someone I’m genetically linked to, tell them anything and know that they’re not going to judge me -- it’s unbelievable.”

“It’s nice when your dad can be your friend,” Katie echoed her father’s words at the time.

However, the pair drifted apart over the years, and were no longer on speaking terms as of February of this year.

“I wasn’t her father. I was her biological father but I didn’t raise her. She has a completely different life,” David explained. “[But] I’m proud of her. She’s very talented. It’s hard for me to even accept how old she is now.”

The star was hospitalized last weekend for liver and kidney failure. Following his tragic death on Tuesday, his family announced that sad news and thanked fans for their support via a touching statement:

“On behalf of the entire Cassidy family, it is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our father, our uncle, and our dear brother, David Cassidy. David died surrounded by those he loved, with joy in his heart and free from the pain that had gripped him for so long. Thank you for the abundance and support you have shown him these many years.”

Cassidy is survived by his daughter Katie Cassidy; son Beau Cassidy; brothers Shaun, Patrick and Ryan; stepmother Shirley Jones; and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

Ivanka Trump shares what she's thankful for 'each and every day'

After celebrating Thanksgiving with her family, Ivanka Trump shared an adorable family photo on Instagram and revealed what she’s thankful for “each and every day.”

>> Read more trending news

“Thankful for this crew, each and every day!” she captioned the picture, which includes the first daughter, her husband Jared Kushner and her children Arabella, 6, Joseph, 4, and Theodore, 1.

Prior to the holiday, the special assistant to the president was present at the annual White House tradition of the National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation. She shared some photos on Instagram from the event, showing her, daughter Arabella and sister Tiffany petting the turkey, Drumstick, who received a pardon from President Trump on Tuesday. In the photos, Ivanka and Arabella sport matching red coats, while Tiffany dons a red dress.

The family is thought to have celebrated Thanksgiving at President Trump’s exclusive Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, along with the president, First Lady Melania Trump and their son, 11-year-old Barron.

Time magazine responds after President Trump says he snubbed their yearly honor

Time magazine is disputing President Donald Trump’s account of how he rejected the magazine’s request for an interview and photo sessions ahead of its “Person of the Year” issue.

RARE OPINION: Liberals shouldn’t be shocked by the defenses of Roy Moore, because it’s how they defended Bill Clinton

The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. TIME does not comment on our choice until publication, which is December 6. — TIME (@TIME) November 25, 2017

In a Friday evening tweet, Trump says the magazine informed him he was “probably” going to be granted the title for the second year in a row. He tweets: “I said probably is no good and took a pass.”

Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “Man (Person) of the Year,” like last year, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 24, 2017

Later that evening, Time tweeted that Trump “is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year.” The magazine says it doesn’t comment on its choice until publication.

Trump frequently brags about his cover appearances in the iconic magazine. He has falsely claimed to hold the record of cover appearances.

The Time Magazine list of the 100 Most Influential People is a joke and stunt of a magazine that will, like Newsweek,soon be dead. Bad list! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2013 Just took a look at Time Magazine-looks really flimsy like a free handout at a parking lot! The sad end is coming-just like Newsweek! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 2, 2013

The magazine will unveil its Person of the Year on Dec. 6.

Donald Trump is TIME's Person of the Year 2016 #TIMEPOY https://t.co/5pTGOksevE pic.twitter.com/N8BtqTu9Nl — TIME (@TIME) December 7, 2016

Macy's credit card machines go down on Black Friday

When the credit card machines went down at Macy’s on Black Friday, chaos was inevitable. In recent years, the day after Thanksgiving has become known not for the deals, but for the fights that ensue when shoppers rush for those deals.

>> Read more trending news

The machines seemed to be down all over the nation, and angry shoppers flooded Twitter with their complaints as Macy’s worked to get its systems running again.

It’s a particularly tough break for Macy’s, which is almost the unofficial retail sponsor of the holidays. It’s Thanksgiving Day parade has been a staple for generations, and every American of a certain age remembers watching “Miracle on 34th Street” in which Kris Kringle fills in for a drunken Santa at a Macy’s in Manhattan.

In a statement to NBC, the company said, “It is taking longer than usual to process some credit and gift cards in our stores, but we had added additional associates to the floor who are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.” The news outlet reported problems in Washington, D.C.; Reno, Nevada; Chicago; New York City, Richmond, Virginia; San Diego; and across New Jersey.

The company eventually took to social media in hopes of calming the tempers of some customers, asking them to send direct messages.

CNN Money notes that Macy’s stock could have really used the boost from a blockbuster Black Friday; their revenue dropped 6.1 percent in the last quarter, which marks the 11th straight quarter in which they’ve experienced declines. A lot of that decline is probably due to customers moving online for shopping, but unreliable credit card machines definitely won’t help their image.

This Black Friday has been no less eventful than those in previous years. Early in the morning, a brawl broke out in an Alabama store that caused the entire mall to shut down. Even more absurdly, four grown men were caught on video fighting over a toy car at Walmart.

But, like always, the holiday has been a success for retailers, with TechCrunch reporting $640 million in sales at 7 a.m. on the West Coast. Unsurprisingly, a lot of that money changed hands online, and a large portion of transactions even occurred via mobile devices. Which means that while shoppers may have hit the brick-and-mortar stores, they were still buying on the web. Early estimates showed that sales were up over 18 percent from 2016, so with any luck, retailers made out big -- even though a few Macy’s locations are probably very, very disappointed.

New York woman shot by hunter who mistook her for deer

A New York woman is dead after she was shot by a hunter who mistook her for a deer while she was walking her dogs on Wednesday evening.

>> Read more trending news

Rosemary Billquist, 43, lived near the border of New York and Pennsylvania and was shot just before 5:30 p.m. The shooter, identified as 34-year-old Thomas Jadlowski, heard her scream and ran to her. He applied pressure to the wound and called 911, The Buffalo News reports. Billquist was shot roughly 100 yards from her home.

Authorities say that the shooting occurred after sunset, noting that it’s illegal to hunt at night in the state of Pennsylvania. Her husband, Jamie Billquist, told The Buffalo News that “they tried saving her [but] it was just too bad … It’s horrific. It will be with me the rest of my life.” He added, “She was always out to help somebody. She never wanted credit and was always quiet about it. She’s just an angel. An angel for sure.”

Officials say that Jadlowski is cooperating with their investigation and that no charges have been filed yet.

Rosemary Billquist was rushed to a University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hospital in Erie, Pennsylvania where personnel were unable to save her. Jamie was watching TV when an ambulance pulled into his driveway and a paramedic that he knew told him “we’ve got a gunshot wound,” and they ran to the field. Her husband rode with her to the hospital.

Jamie recalled his wife as an avid athlete with a zest for life, estimating that she ran over 60 marathons. He says that he knows the Jadlowski family but said simply, “It’s a two-second decision that he’ll regret for the rest of his life.”

If authorities do decide to press charges, Jadlowski will likely face involuntary manslaughter, which is defined in the Pennsylvania Penal Code as follows:

A person is guilty of involuntary manslaughter when as a direct result of the doing of an unlawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or the doing of a lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he causes the death of another person.

Involuntary manslaughter is a first-degree misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison.

Thanksgiving dinner mix-up now a tradition with grandma who accidentally invited teen

Phoenix teenager Jamal Hinton and grandmother Wanda Hence have turned their internet fame from 2016 into a tradition.

>> Read more trending news

Last year, Hence thought she was texting her grandson to invite him to dinner in a group text, but she was actually texting Jamal Hinton, 17.

Hinton asked who was texting him and was told it was his grandmother.

“I really thought it was my grandma, so I had to ask for a picture to make sure,” Hinton told BuzzFeed.

The result was a selfie exchange from Hence to which Hinton replied, "You're not my grandma!"

But Hinton asked if he could still get a plate of food despite the mistake. Hence replied, “Of course you can. That's what grandmas do ... feed everyone."

KNXV reported that Hinton joined Hence’s family for dinner and is now her "honorary grandson."

When Hinton arrived and shook Hence’s hand, the two soon embraced for a hug.

"I'd never seen her before and she welcomed me into her home," Hinton told KNXV. "That shows me how great of a person she is. I'm thankful for people like that."

"He always has an open invite to our house for Thanksgiving," Hence told WVEC Friday.

  

Florida man tries to break into car occupied by deputies

A man in the Tampa, Florida, area picked the wrong car to burglarize not realizing it was an unmarked Sheriff’s Office vehicle, according to deputies. 

>> Read more trending news

Stephen Titland, 49, was arrested on Wednesday night on charges of attempted burglary, seven counts of auto burglary, and loitering and prowling, WFTS reports.

 

Deputies said homeowners in a neighborhood in Trinity, Florida, caught Titland on video trying to break into seven cars, but he was unsuccessful since all the doors were locked. 

The next day, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said Titland tried to break into a deputy’s unmarked vehicle while several deputies were inside, according to WFTS. 

Deputies identified Titland as the man who attempted to burglarize the other vehicles from the night before, and arrested him. Officials told WFTS that Titland was already on a felony probation for another burglary and criminal mischief that happened in Pinellas County.

Titland remains at the county jail on a $45,150 bond, according to jail records. 

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >