Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

national

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

President Trump calls widow of fallen soldier, tells her he knew ‘what he signed up for’

The body of one of four Army servicemen killed in action in Niger on Oct. 4 — Army Sgt. La David Johnson — returned to the United States Tuesday. A flight bearing Sgt. Johnson’s remains landed at Miami International Airport, according to WPLG.

>> Read more trending news

The plane was met by Johnson’s widow, Myeshia Johnson, who is pregnant with the couple’s third child. Also present was an honor guard and local politicians.

President Donald Trump called Johnson to offer his condolences, telling her that her fallen husband “knew what he signed up for,” adding that “when it happens it hurts anyway,” a congresswoman who said she was present for the call said.

That response is generating some controversy, with some saying the president was unnecessarily callous and blunt. U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Fla said she heard the call with Trump and couldn’t believe her ears.

“It’s so insensitive. He should have not have said that. He shouldn’t have said it,” she said.

Also killed in action on Oct. 4th were Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright, Sgt. Bryan Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson, and four soldiers from Niger, according to the New York Daily News. Two other Americans were wounded.

President Trump calls widow of fallen soldier, tells her he knew “what he signed up for”

The body of one of four Army servicemen killed in action in Niger on October 4th — Army Sergeant La David Johnson — returned to the United States today. A flight bearing Sgt. Johnson’s remains landed at Miami International Airport, according to WPLG.

RELATED: A widow honoring a fallen hero on a flight transporting him home was told to “be quiet”

Watch the video

The plane was met by Johnson’s widow, Myeshia Johnson, who is pregnant with the couple’s third child. Also present was an Honor Guard and local politicians.

President Donald Trump reportedly called Johnson to offer his condolences, telling her that her fallen husband “knew what he signed up for,” adding that “when it happens it hurts anyway.”

That response is generating some controversy, with some saying the President was unnecessarily callous and blunt. Florida Rep. Frederica Wilson, who was present, said she heard the call with President Donald Trump and couldn’t believe her ears.

“It’s so insensitive. He should have not have said that. He shouldn’t have said it,” she said.

.@RepWilson, who rode w/ Sgt. Johnson's widow, said she heard part of call w/ Pres. Trump; "He must've known what he signed up for" @NBC6 pic.twitter.com/Rep6ERrQEb — Michael Spears NBC6 (@MikeSpearsNBC6) October 17, 2017

Also killed in action on October 4th were Staff Sargeant Dustin Wright, Sargeant Bryan Black, Staff Sargeant Jeremiah Johnson, and four soldiers from Niger, according to the New York Daily News. Two other Americans were wounded.

Texas couple stranded in remote Utah desert for six days

Helena and Gerald Byler, both in their seventies, made a narrow escape from a bad end after being stranded in the Utah desert for six days.

>> Read more trending news

According to Utah news outlet the Deseret News, if the couple had been subjected to the desert environment for even one more day, they might not have made it out.

“It’s totally unbelievable. So many things seem to have fallen in place on their behalf,” said Kane County sheriff’s Chief Deputy Alan Alldredge in an interview. “Many little things fell into place that allowed the Bylers to be located alive.”

What was supposed to be a day trip turned bad when the Bylers’ car was disabled on rough terrain far off the main road. They tried to get back on foot, spending the first night walking through rain.

When her husband couldn’t walk any further after that night, Helena left him their remaining food — a few pecans — and continued walking on her own. She ended up wandering the desert for another five days. She slept wherever she could, made an “SOS” sign in the road, and suffered hallucinations from the physical strain.

She was eventually found on Oct. 2, seemingly out of sheer luck, by Dell LeFevre, of Panguitch, Utah. LeFevre was checking on the cattle he keeps on the Grand Staircase Monument’s land when he found Helena lying in the road, according to the Kane County Sheriff’s Office. He got her into his vehicle, gave her water, and contacted the police.

Gerald was found later, having taken shelter in a group of old trailers, and evacuated by helicopter to Dixie Regional Medical Center. One of the trailers near his showed signs that Helena may have sheltered there, not knowing Gerald was so close. Her ‘SOS’ sign was only 3 miles from their abandoned car.

Both of the Bylers recovering well and expected to return home soon.

“I’m a firm believer in God. He’s pulled me out of quite a few messes in my life,” LeFevre said in an interview regarding the rescue. “If she had gone off the road, no one ever would have found them.”

The reason Nick Lachey’s son wants him to stop competing on “DWTS” broke his heart

While Nick Lachey is having a blast dancing on “Dancing with the Stars,” his son can’t wait for the show to be over so they can spend more time together.

“It’s a lot of time. It’s a lot of rehearsals every day and then it’s all the packages and the interviews and the things you have to shoot outside of rehearsal. So to have both parents fully engaged in this whole thing, it’s been tough,” he said of how his kids — Camden, 5, Brooklyn, 2, and Phoenix, 10 months — are handling he and his wife Vanessa being away so much for the show.

RELATED:  See the performance that earned the first perfect score of the season on “DWTS”

“My son said to me the other day, he’s like, ‘Daddy, I don’t want you to dance anymore,'” he continued in regard to Camden. “It broke my heart because you wish you could spend more time with your kids, obviously.”

While Lachey struggles with being away from his children, he’s very grateful that his wife is right there with him going through the same process.

“It is also very helpful to have a partner who’s going through the same kind of experience,” he said. “At the end of the day, I can come home and talk about my sore feet or my sore back and emotionally how drained I am, and she totally gets it because she’s in the same spot.”

RELATED:  Things were not so magical for the dancing duo eliminated on “DWTS” Disney Night

19-year-old arrested after 6-year-old Washington boy found in dumpster

A 19-year-old man from Kerrville, Texas, who is a relative of the boy and was visiting family in Lynnwood, Washington, has been booked into the Snohomish County Jail for first-degree murder of 6-year-old Dayvid Pakko.

>> Read more trending news

A police statement alleges the 19-year-old admitted to filling a bathtub with water with the intention of drowning Dayvid, then called the boy to the bathroom, picked him up and placed him face-down in the water, and held his head underneath for approximately 30 seconds before Dayvid became still.

The statement from police then alleges the 19-year-old left the boy face down in the water for approximately six minutes before he wrapped the boy's body in a blanket and placed him in a cardboard box, which he used to dispose of the body in the nearest garbage dumpster. 

"It's a tragic ending to a long search operation," said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Shari Ireton.

Authorities said the body was found about 2 a.m. Tuesday in a dumpster at the Bristol Square Apartment complex on 44th Avenue West.

The body was found by officers with the Violent Offenders Task Force. In cases of missing children, the officers, who represent several law enforcement agencies, are deployed to check on registered sex offenders in the area. That's when they found the child's body.

Detectives are working on getting a search warrant and are processing the crime scene, where they're expected to be working for several hours. 

Once a search warrant is obtained, detectives will go through the apartment building and dumpster for evidence.

The boy was reported missing about 5 p.m. Monday.

Crews, including 100 volunteers, searched the area of 44th Avenue West between 156th Street and State Route 99, just outside the Lynnwood city limits.

According to the Sheriff’s Office and relatives, Dayvid stayed home sick from school Monday. 

The boy lives with his mother, who was at work when he disappeared. He was last seen about 2:30 p.m.

The Sheriff's Office said Dayvid was under adult supervision while he was at home, but did not say who he was with.

The Snohomish County medical examiner will determine the boy's cause of death.

Shocking video of cheerleaders chanting incredibly offensive slurs prompts an investigation

Administrators in one Utah school district are investigating a disturbing video that appears to show a group of cheerleaders shouting the n-word and other cuss words. The 10-second recording, which was posted to Instagram, features a group of teenage girls who individually and as a group repeatedly yell “f**k n*****s” while laughing.

“We are shocked by the conduct of these students and the contents of the video,” read a statement from the Weber School District. “School officials have started an investigation and the matter is being taken very seriously. We are trying to determine when the video was made, where it was filmed, why the students would engage in such conduct, and how the clip ended up on social media.”

RELATED: A sorority recorded themselves singing a Kanye West song, but there’s one huge problem

School officials first became aware of the footage on Monday after it began making rounds on social media. While they confirmed three of the girls in the video are cheerleaders, there is no indication the footage was filmed during extra-curricular activities. The IT department has been instructed to look into whether the clip was created with a video-editing app capable of generating the offensive phrase.

“The video was then possibly uploaded into an app that plays it backwards, producing an entirely different sounding phrase. In this case, a very derogatory, offense racial slur,” the district explained, adding that the girls may have actually been saying the unintelligible phrase “surgeon cuff.”

Weber School District spokesman Lane Findlay indicated that the students could be expelled or kicked off the cheerleading squad, saying, “All of those things would be on the table. Obviously, they knew what they were doing. It’s just completely inappropriate.”

RELATED: Teacher claims the racist posts on her Facebook were the work of a hacker

'Nuclear war may break out any moment': North Korea intensifies rhetoric against USA

North Korea’s deputy U.N. ambassador warned Monday that the situation on the Korean peninsula “has reached the touch-and-go point and a nuclear war may break out any moment.”

>> Read more trending news

Kim In Ryong told the U.N. General Assembly’s disarmament committee that North Korea is the only country in the world that has been subjected to “such an extreme and direct nuclear threat” from the United States since the 1970s -- and said the country has the right to possess nuclear weapons in self-defense.

He pointed to large-scale military exercises every year using “nuclear assets” and said what is more dangerous is what he called a U.S. plan to stage a “secret operation aimed at the removal of our supreme leadership.”

This year, Kim said, North Korea completed its “state nuclear force and thus became the full-fledged nuclear power which possesses the delivery means of various ranges, including the atomic bomb, H-bomb and intercontinental ballistic rockets.”

“The entire U.S. mainland is within our firing range and if the U.S. dares to invade our sacred territory even an inch it will not escape our severe punishment in any part of the globe,” he warned.

Kim’s speech follows escalating threats between North Korea and the United States, and increasingly tough U.N. sanctions.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that his country is curtailing economic, scientific and other ties with North Korea in line with U.N. sanctions, and the European Union announced new sanctions on Pyongyang for developing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Sunday that diplomatic efforts aimed at resolving the North Korean crisis “will continue until the first bomb drops.” His commitment to diplomacy came despite President Donald Trump’s tweets several weeks ago that his chief envoy was “wasting his time” trying to negotiate with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whom he derisively referred to as “Little Rocket Man.”

North Korea’s deputy U.N. ambassador called his country’s nuclear and missile arsenal “a precious strategic asset that cannot be reversed or bartered for anything.”

“Unless the hostile policy and the nuclear threat of the U.S. is thoroughly eradicated, we will never put our nuclear weapons and ballistic rockets on the negotiating table under any circumstances,” Kim said.

He told the disarmament committee that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea -- North Korea’s official name -- had hoped for a nuclear-free world.

Instead, Kim said, all nuclear states are accelerating the modernization of their weapons and “reviving a nuclear arms race reminiscent of (the) Cold War era.” He noted that the nuclear weapon states, including the United States, boycotted negotiations for the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons that was approved in July by 122 countries at the United Nations.

“The DPRK consistently supports the total elimination of nuclear weapons and the efforts for denuclearization of the entire world,” he said. But as long as the United States rejects the treaty and “constantly threatens and blackmails the DPRK with nuclear weapons … the DPRK is not in position to accede to the treaty.”

One in nine American men infected with oral HPV, study finds

Oral human papillomavirus, or HPV, is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases. However, men are more at risk than women, with one in nine American males infected, according to a new report published in Annals of Internal of Medicine

>> Read more trending news

Researchers from Harvard University and other institutions across the country recently conducted a study to determine the difference in prevalence of oral and genital HPV infection among men and women. 

To do so, they used data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination, a CDC survey that monitors the health and nutritional statuses of Americans.

Scientists specifically gathered information from the 2011 to 2014 records, examining adults aged 18 to 69, who were given physical examinations that included tests for 37 types of HPV as well as an interview.

>>Related: HPV vaccination of adolescents increases; suburban, rural areas lag

After analyzing the results, they estimated that 11.5 percent of the 11 million men assessed had an oral HPV infection, and 3.2 percent of the 3.2 million women evaluated had oral HPV.

Furthermore, analysts found that the prevalence of all HPV types was highest among men. High-risk HPV affected about 7.3 percent of men, overall, and just 1.4 percent of women, overall. 

The probability of high-risk oral HPV was greatest among black participants, marijuana users, cigarette smokers who smoked more than 20 cigarettes a day and those who reported having 16 or more vaginal or oral sex partners. 

>>Related: Vaccine may cut HPV infections, an oral cancer risk, in men

“This study's findings provide several policy implications to guide future OPSCC prevention efforts to combat 

this disease,” the authors said in the study.

That’s why researchers hope to conduct more studies to find better ways to screen for the disease and get the HPV vaccine to people of all ages. 

>>Related: Medical tests, exams women in their 30s should have 

Iguana eluding officers taken into custody at Florida restaurant

An iguana hunt was on in South Florida after a large reptile was said to be hiding from authorities. 

>> Read more trending news

The Stuart Police Department posted a picture on Facebook of the “suspicious iguana,” which had eluded officers for days at a downtown restaurant. 

The big guy was taken into custody on Monday at Spritz City Bistro, according to Facebook comments. 

Social media users are going crazy over this wild catch.

 

Man brings ‘Star Wars’ to his neighborhood for Halloween

Anyone thinking they’ll compete with an Ohio man in a neighborhood Halloween decorating contest should just pack up the pumpkins, bury the zombies and try again next year.

Nick Meyer has built a nearly full-sized replica of an All Terrain Armored Transport from “Star Wars.” Most people know them as AT-ATs, The Associated Press reported.

>> Read more trending news

He used wood, foam and plastic barrels to build the four-legged walker from the “Star Wars” film franchise. It is almost the same height as his two-story house, Cleveland.com reported.

The building project was months in the making as Meyer started collecting everything back in April and has been working on the AT-AT over the past few months.

It took about two days to actually install the walker with the help of friends.

Meyer told Cleveland.com that despite appearances to the contrary, like the two-story AT-AT, he’s not a fanatic when it comes to “Star Wars.”

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >