Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

national

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Six women came forward after they say a sheriff’s deputy assaulted them in prison

A California sheriff’s deputy is accused of harming at least six female inmates in his jail.

Giancarlo Scotti, 31, of the Los Angeles Sherriff’s Department, faces charges associated with unlawful sexual acts carried out against female inmates at the Century Regional Detention Facility in Lynwood, reports NBC Los AngelesAccording to the L.A. Times, Scotti faces six felony charges and two misdemeanor charges.

Last year, two women filed federal civil rights lawsuits against the department in connection with the sexual assaults. They described Scotti as a “cool” guard who was also overly flirtatious.

Among his many crimes, Scotti is accused of ordering at least two cellmates to perform oral sex on him. He then took them to a shower to have “unlawful” intercourse with them. According to state and federal law, inmates do not possess the ability to consent to any sexual activity with a deputy.

A pregnant inmate also said she felt as though “she had no other choice but to comply with Deputy Scotti’s forcible commands” when he ordered her to perform oral sex on him.

A few of the women reported retaliation from the staff when they attempted to speak up.

Another inmate said Scotti sexually assaulted her in the shower. After the assault, she saved some DNA from the interaction on a tissue to present as evidence.

“Sheriff’s Deputy Giancarlo Scotti never sexually assaulted anybody,” argued his lawyer, Anthony Falangetti.

However, Sheriff Jim McDonnell argued that in a number of instances, Scotti was able to find ways where he could “put himself in a place where he was alone” with the women who have come forward.

“This case represents the worst of the worst in terms of law enforcement abuse by an individual that was actually tasked with protecting these women,” said Justin Sterling, who is representing two of the women in the case. “It’s the start of the process that ultimately gets them one step closer to justice.”

If convicted of all charges, he faces up to seven years and four months in a state prison.

L.A. County Sheriff’s Deputy Charged With Sexually Assaulting 6 Female Inmates in Lynwood Jail https://t.co/OnrsGkzebc pic.twitter.com/R5wtRBzCcC — KTLA (@KTLA) February 22, 2018

RELATED: A child escaped from an Arizona home and told a disturbing story — now his adopted parents are facing jail time

Billy Graham funeral arrangements announced, public viewing scheduled

Funeral arrangements have been announced following the death of famed evangelist the Rev. Billy Graham. The well-known religious figure, who counseled several presidents and preached to millions of people worldwide, died Wednesday, according to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. He was 99.

READ MORE: Photos: Billy Graham through the yearsPhotos: Notable deaths 2018Billy Graham quotes: He made Christian principles accessible to millionsBilly Graham named among 10 most admired men for 59th timeMORE 

Russian parents discover their son is still alive seven years after being told he had died

A set of parents were in for the surprise of a lifetime after spending nearly a decade believing they lost their son.

In 2011, a mother and father in Volgograd, Russia, which sits in the southwestern part of the country, were informed by their doctor that their newborn would die within the week, reports The Independent. Believing that their time with him was coming to a close, the parents made the difficult decision of signing over their baby to the hospital.

Five days after making the decision, the couple returned to reclaim their child. But it was already too late, or so they thought. The hospital told them that their young son had already passed away.

Seven years went by and the couple learned in a rather disturbing manner that there was a miscommunication of information.

Russia’s Federal Bailiff Service seized a substantial amount of money from the mother’s bank account. When she went to inquire about the action, she was told that she owed 230,000 rubles, which is just over $4,000, to a childcare home. When told why, it’s because the home had raised her son since his birth.

“It became clear that the married couple had been assured for all this time that the child was dead,” explained a spokesperson for the bailiff service. “The parents, so unexpectedly aware of the ‘resurrection’ of their baby, immediately appealed to the court for the restoration of parental rights.”

The couple was able to restore their rights in November. They said that the final result of the ordeal “a gift from fate.”

The incident has since been blamed on an administrative mix-up.

RELATED: The internet is in love with this envelope that was deemed ‘so tiny’ by postal workers

McDonald’s brings back Szechuan sauce to ‘fully make amends’

McDonald’s acknowledged Wednesday morning that it botched last fall’s release of a cult favorite menu item and vowed to get it right this time, starting Feb. 26.

>> Read more trending news 

“Last October, we truly meant well when we brought back a super-limited batch of Szechuan Sauce, but it quickly became apparent we did not make enough to meet the expectations of our fans,” McDonald’s said in a Thursday news release. “We did not anticipate the overnight crowds, the cross-state travel and the amazing curiosity, passion and energy fans showed.”

“Our super-limited batch, though well-intentioned, clearly wasn’t near enough to meet that demand. We disappointed fans and we are sorry. To fully make amends, we felt it was important to not only bring back much more sauce this time, but to also admit our mistakes, answer questions and give fans access to the story behind the story.”

Related: Fan-demanded Szechuan sauce returning to McDonald’s for one day

Last year, McDonald’s announced a “one-time only, limited-edition” run of the sauce, which was first released in 1998 as a promotional tie-in with the release of Disney’s animated movie “Mulan.” Twenty years later, the sauce has a fan following, which was referenced in an episode of “Rick and Morty.” The limited batch was at a few McDonald’s locations Oct. 7.

When the day came, however, fans were left rejected. In some restaurants, customers only got one packet of sauce and in others, no sauce was available despite posters promising otherwise. Some customers were so upset that police had to be called to locations.

Related: McDonald’s customers get saucy over failed ‘Rick and Morty’ promotion

McDonald’s officials say this time will be different.

“We have hundreds of packets (of the sauce) per restaurant to satisfy that sauce craving, so we encourage customers to get ‘em while we’ve got ‘em, whether they come into the restaurant, use Mobile Order & Pay, or order through McDelivery on Uber Eats where it’s available,” Debbie Wright, a franchise owner for Dayton, Ohio, McDonald’s, said in a release.

“We’ve worked every day since October to bring back much, much, more of the sauce our fans have been craving,” the company said. “And we’re excited to announce that starting Monday, Feb. 26, 20 million packets of Szechuan Sauce will be available across all U.S. McDonald’s restaurants with a qualifying purchase, while supplies last (which this time around, we hope is a while).”

The sauce will be available starting at lunchtime on Monday. To obtain it, a customer must buy an item on the menu.

More information on the return of the sauce can be found at McDonald’s We Want The Sauce website.

#NationalChiliDay: These are the top 10 chili cities in the U.S.

Where should you celebrate National Chili Day? Officials with fast-food chain Wienerschnitzel, one of the world’s largest chili purveyors, have a few ideas.

A study by the company shows that residents of cities across the country love this classic comfort food as much or more than their Lone Star State counterparts.

>> Read more trending news

An internal analysis conducted by Wienerschnitzel in honor of National Chili Day on Feb. 22 named the top 10 chili cities in the United States. Residents in the top cities eat more chili per person than residents of other cities, have access to more restaurants known for their chili and are more likely to enter or attend a chili cook-off.

Among the top cities was San Antonio, Texas, the city credited with first popularizing chili in the 1890s.

According to Wienerschnitzel, the top 10 chili cities are:

  1. Los Angeles
  2. Dallas
  3. Phoenix
  4. Houston
  5. San Francisco/Oakland
  6. Chicago
  7. Baton Rouge, Louisiana
  8. Springfield, Missouri
  9. Cincinnati
  10. San Antonio

“Despite being the official dish of Texas, chili has grown to become America’s dish,” said Doug Koegeboehn, chief marketing officer for Wienerschnitzel. “At Wienerschnitzel, we’ve known that for years. In fact, we’d like to think that there are really only two types of people in the world: chili lovers and those who still haven’t tasted really great chili yet.”

A Congressional candidate is under fire after an “awkward” joke about her Marine veteran opponent backfired

A Democrat congressional candidate in San Diego has found herself in the midst of controversy after allegedly referring to her veteran opponent as a “crusty old Marine” during a campaign event — something she has since denied doing.

29-year-old Sara Jacobs, who is vying for outgoing Republican Representative Darrell Issa’s seat, was confronted about how she would fare with the district’s huge military population — one with the largest Marine Corps base on the west coast — against her opponent, retired Marine colonel and fellow Democrat Doug Applegate. She responded by saying, “It’s true… I’m not a crusty old Marine.”

RELATED: A World War II vet died 2 years ago after nurses allegedly neglected him — now charges are being filed

The incident has since been reported as an “awkward moment” with the room remaining “mostly silent.” The backlash against Jacobs’s comments came swiftly from both the left and the right.

“As somebody who proudly served our country and risked life and limb to defend our nation and our families, I believe that no candidate for public office should attack our service members,” Christina Prejean, an Air Force veteran and Democratic candidate, said in a statement to the San Diego Union-Tribune. “We serve because of our innate passion to protect our country. We should never tear down veterans.”

Jacobs apologized for the remark on Thursday with a statement on Facebook clarifying that she was not referring to Applegate:

An article came out this morning that took something I said out of context. I want to make it clear – this had nothing to do with Colonel Applegate, he was never mentioned, and I have nothing but respect for his military service. The comment was in response to a Marine who jokingly referred to himself that way first. I called Colonel Applegate to make sure he knew this wasn’t about him. I apologize to any Marines or other members of the military who this offended. That was never my intention.

RELATED: A 69-year-old disabled Navy vet put up a harrowing fight against a carjacker, and it was all caught on tape

Steve Wilkos admits to lying about car crash, arrested on DUI charge

Steve Wilkos, a former security guard on “The Jerry Springer Show,” admitted that he lied about what really happened in a January car crash in Connecticut.

At the time of the Jan. 21 crash, Wilkos told TMZ he crashed after becoming distracted while reaching for his glasses. Just one month later, he confessed to the tabloid that he made the story up and admitted that the crash happened as a result of him driving under the influence of alcohol.

>> Read more trending news 

In January, Wilkos struck several poles and a tree before his vehicle rolled over. He was hospitalized and treated for minor injuries before being released. No other injuries were reported at the time.

People reported that Wilkos turned himself in on Wednesday after learning the Darien Police Department had a warrant out for his arrest. A news release from the Darien Police Department said a judge set bail for the TV talk show host at $1,500, which Wilkos posted that day and was released. The publication reports that his blood alcohol level at the time of the crash was .29 percent, which is over the legal limit.

Following the arrest, Wilkos issued a statement to TMZ.

“Over the course of my life, I have been struggling with bouts of depression and on the day of my accident, I had a complete lapse in judgment which resulted in me drinking and getting behind the wheel of my car,” the statement said. “This experience reinforces my commitment to get the professional help that I need and I have recently completed an intensive medically supervised program.”

Wilkos is set to appear in court March 5.

Man shot, killed with children in car in possible case of road rage

A man was shot and killed early Thursday in a possible case of road rage in Georgia, police said.

>> Read more trending news

Investigators were at the entrance of the Brighton Village subdivision in Dekalb County on Thursday morning, where the man’s body was found in a car after at least three shots were fired.

The DeKalb County Medical Examiner’s Office was at the scene, Lt. Mark Lavigne said.

According to police, the victim’s two children and two other adults were in the car at the time of the fatal 4 a.m. shooting.

One of the adults in the car was the victim’s wife, WSBTV reported

The victim’s relation to the other adult in the car was not immediately known.

No one else was injured.

It was not immediately clear whether the incident was related to a pair of random shootings that injured two drivers in southwest Atlanta earlier Thursday.

>> On AJC.com: 2 drivers shot in separate incidents just miles apart

“We will definitely be looking into that,” Lavigne said.

Police continued to investigate the shooting Thursday.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >