Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!


200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >

Tripp Halstead, toddler seriously injured when tree limb fell on him 5 years ago, has died

Tripp Halstead, who was seriously injured more than five years ago when a tree branch fell on him, causing brain damage, died on Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

Halstead’s father confirmed his passing to WSB-TV in Atlanta.

On Oct. 29, 2012, Stacy Halstead got a call no mother should ever have to receive: A tree limb had fallen on her 2-year-old son Tripp's head during a freak accident at his daycare.

For the Halstead family, life changed in an instant

As the blue-eyed toddler fought for months to survive, people all over the country started to follow along and root for his recovery. 

Just a few months ago, WSB-TV talked with the Halstead family on the five-year anniversary of Tripp's accident.

For more than five yearsWSB-TV followed Tripp as he inspired us all with his progress.

Here's a look back at some of Tripp's journey, as told through the family's Facebook page, Tripp Halstead Updates

94 Winn-Dixie stores set to close as southern grocer files for bankruptcy

Florida-based Southeastern Grocers- the parent company of Winn-Dixie, Harveys, and other businesses- said Thursday it’s closing 94 stores as part of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing.

>> Read more trending news 

Southeastern Grocers said Thursday they reached an agreement with “key economic stakeholders” which lets them restructure financially. They’ve classified the stores that will be closing as “under performing”. 

582 stores will continue to operate under the Southeastern Grocers umbrella. 

“The agreement we announced today is an important step in Southeastern Grocers’ transformation to put our company in the best position to succeed in the extremely competitive retail market in which we do business,” company president and CEO Anthony Hucker said in a statement. 

The restructuring is expected to reduce the company’s debt by more than $500 million.

Three locations in Jacksonville and one in Orange Park, Florida will be part of the first group of closings, the company said. 

According to Winn-Dixie's website, the retailer has locations in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Mississippi.

>> Related: Toys 'R' Us getting ready to close more than 700 stores affecting 33,000 workers, reports say

Traditional grocery stores have faced increased competition from online retailers like Amazon in recent years.

National Content Desk Editor Joy Johnston contributed to this report

Florida bridge collapse: Time-lapse video shows speedy construction

A recently installed pedestrian bridge designed to connect Florida International University with the City of Sweetwater collapsed Thursday, killing several people, according to multiple reports.

The project had been installed last weekend in a few hours. According to the description with the YouTube video showing the time-lapse,  the bridge was lifted from a temporary position, rotated 90 degrees and lowered into place.

The method of construction was intended to reduce risk to workers and pedestrians with minimal impact to traffic.

Nightmare on Cooper Street: Suspect bites off part of man's face, police say

A Memphis man is accused of biting a chunk out of a security guard’s face after breaking into a local music studio.

The story sounds like something out of a horror movie. It features creepy text messages, a sudden knock at the door, and an alleged attack by a stranger.

Corlandt Northcross is charged with aggravated assault and burglary. He was arrested after an incident at Cooper Young music studio on March 14.

>> Read more trending news 

When officers arrived to the music studio, they said they saw the man, Northcross, sitting outside talking on a cell phone. When police began talking to him, the victim ran out of the front door with his face covered in blood. He was screaming that Northcross broke into the business and attacked him, according to a police affidavit.

Officers said Northcross uttered “I did…I broke into the [expletive] house.” Police said Northcross claimed to own the property because the previous owner left it to him.

The victim told police he works overnight security for the business. He told police Northcross came in two days before the attack and said he was homeless. According to the affidavit, the victim gave the man some beef jerky and allowed him to stay until he began talking to himself.

Northcross came back the next day, but the victim didn’t allow him inside, police said.

The day of the attack, the victim began getting strange text messages from an unknown number. He copied a signature from the texts into a Google search, which led him to an Instagram profile that looked like it belonged to Northcross, according to police.

In the messages, the sender claimed to own the property that houses the music studio. There were also threats to kill the victim and police, if they were called, according to the affidavit.

The messages finally stopped, and the security guard fell asleep on the couch. He woke up to someone banging on the door.

Seconds later, a window shattered and Northcross crawled into the business, police said. The victim ran upstairs and locked himself in a room.

After several minutes, the victim went downstairs because he thought the person was gone. He was wrong, and the attack ensued, according to police documents.

The two men fell onto the floor, at which point the alleged attacker began biting the victim’s face, chest and stomach, police said. The victim was eventually able to get up and force the person out the front door.

Officers noted that the victim had a “gaping wound” on his left cheek and multiple bite wounds to his chest and torso.

Inside the business, police found blood and “what appeared to be the missing chunk of the victim’s cheek” on the floor.

The victim was taken to the hospital in non-critical condition. Northcross was arrested.

Girl sent home from school over buzz cut

A third-grade girl in Fresno, California, has missed a week of school because her buzz cut reportedly violated her school’s policy.

KFSN reported on Monday that 8-year-old Layla Sysaknoi has worn designs in her hair for years. The dress code for Fresno Unified School District prohibits unusual razor cuts and mohawks. Layla attends Columbia Elementary School.

>> Read more trending news 

“I’ve been told I either have to cut it all off or I have to wait until her hair grows back completely before she can attend school again,” Layla’s mother, Tara Sysaknoi, told KFSN. “Again, I don't think I should have to if that’s how she wants her hair, if she wants to do that. It’s not offensive, it’s not gang-related.

“I thought it was ridiculous, I told her it shouldn't interfere with my child’s education and it’s not a distraction. It’s something she’s been doing since preschool.”

Sysaknoi told Yahoo Lifestyle on Thursday she got mixed messages from the school on the policy.

“The principal also said Layla’s hair was fine, but she had to check with the district about updating the dress code,” Sysaknoi said.

“I have directed our schools not to enforce the specific prohibition on razor cuts as long as there’s no disruption to the educational environment or any danger to students,” Fresno Unified School District Superintendent Bob Nelson told KFSN

Layla has since been back in as of Wednesday. Her other told Yahoo Lifestyle she has not heard from the principal. The dress code is under review.

Snuggie refund: Some customers getting checks after buying 'as-seen-on-TV' products

If you’ve bought a Snuggie, a Perfect Tortilla, a Forever Comfy or any of a handful of other “as-seen-on-TV”-type products, you might be getting a refund.

>> Read more trending news

Officials with the Federal Trade Commission said more than 218,000 checks are being mailed -- each worth an average of $33.14 -- to customers who bought products from the Allstar Marketing Group, a direct marketer based in New York.  The company handling the refunds, Analytics, began sending refund checks to consumers Monday, according to FTC officials.

Authorities sued the company in 2015, alleging that it deceptively marketed its products by promoting a phony “buy-one-get-one-free” offer to consumers without disclosing additional costs for the deal.

In the FTC’s complaint, officials used as an example a commercial for the company’s Magic Mesh screen door.

“The company promised that it would ‘double the offer’ for consumers if they just paid ‘processing and handling fees,’” FTC officials said. “While consumers were led to believe that they would be getting two $19.95 products for ‘less than $10 each,’ in fact, the total cost with the undisclosed $7.95 ‘processing and handling’ fees jumped from the advertised price of $19.95 to $35.85.”

Officials also charged that customers who called Allstar Marketing were immediately prompted to share their billing information and were charged for products before they could indicated how many items they wanted to buy. The company would then attempt to up-sell customers using automated voice prompts and sometimes following up the process by sending consumers to other third-party sellers with even more sales pitches.

“Once all of the offers ended, consumers were not told the total number of items they’d ‘agreed’ to buy, or the total amount they would be billed,” the FTC alleged in its complaint. “Allstar even charged those consumers who hung up mid-call, not intending to complete a sale.”

A federal judge in Illinois ordered Allstar Marketing in 2015 to stop its alleged deceptive marketing and ordered the company to pay $7.5 million for refunds to affected customers.

UPDATE Ohio lawmaker: ‘Did a poor job of communicating’ position on students bearing firearms

UPDATE @ 2 p.m., Friday, March 16

State Rep. Niraj Antani, R-Miamisburg, said Friday he “did a poor job of communicating” his position on guns.

By phone Friday, Antani said the Dayton Daily News accurately quoted his position in the original article, and that he had no further statement to make on the matter.

UPDATE: Antani stands by gun-carrying students comment despite GOP, Democratic criticism

“Yesterday, I learned a lesson,” Antani posted on Twitter. “A reporter asked me a question about (Second) Amendment issues. I told the reporter I believed that gun free zones do not work, and that every law abiding person who is of age has a right to carry to defend themselves. I am not advocating the arming of students. I am not proposing or introducing any bill or legislation detailing with what was in the Dayton Daily News and WHIO.”


Law-abiding high school students age 18 years or older should be able to carry long guns inside public high schools, state Rep. Niraj Antani, R-Miamisburg, told the Dayton Daily News in an interview Thursday.

>> Read more trending news 

The issue came up during a Twitter dispute Wednesday between the state lawmaker and Zach Dickerson, a Democratic primary candidate for the District 42 seat Antani currently holds.

MORE: FBI offers $15k reward for missing local teen who witnessed father’s death

Antani has long advocated allowing college students to carry firearms on campuses, but the shooting deaths of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., have injected into the national conversation a new round of debate about the place of weapons in American high schools.

Antani maintains he was not advocating arming high school students, but rather said students should have the option of carrying long guns in school if they meet the legal criteria to do so.

“The law is anybody above 21 can have a handgun and anybody above 18 can have a long gun, and so anyone who complies with the law should be able to carry and protect themselves,” Antani told the Daily News. “If you look at what happened many decades ago, people brought their firearms to school. They kept them in their cars, maybe, but there was not a problem.”

MORE: Emails show local schools wrestling with student protests after Florida shooting

“My view is that anyone who is of age should be able to carry a firearm wherever they want,” Antani said. “The only restriction I believe in is for private property.”

Antani cited a “cultural difference” between urban and rural communities for differing opinions about guns.

“You go out to Valley View, in my district, you go shooting against a rock in your backyard … it’s part of the culture there, it’s not a big deal,” Antani said. “Of course, in inner-city Dayton Public it would be a big deal, but there is a cultural difference … In rural America, there is a culture of carrying firearms safely. In any urban area, such as Dayton Public, there is not. In Dayton, unfortunately, there is a lot of gang violence, and firearms are used improperly.”

Antani is a co-sponsor of House Bill 233, a bill that would allow a concealed handgun licensee or military member to carry a deadly weapon into a gun-free zone, and avoid punishment, so long as the person leaves upon request and doesn’t return with the weapon within 30 days.

MORE: Thousands of Ohio students walk out: ‘Community should be proud’

Both Antani and Dickerson said they own guns and hold concealed carry licenses. But Dickerson, a first-time candidate, said Antani is advocating “dangerous and dumb gun policy.”

“I think that is irresponsible, and I think a vast majority of both parents, students and school officials would agree with me,” said Dickerson. “I support gun ownership, but I think there’s a balance to be struck between public safety and the Second Amendment.”

“I think he is firmly cemented in his position that any restriction or sensible gun law is a bad one,” he said.

Read more coverage of school safety issues:

» Fairborn police: Schools won’t release records about arrested 12-year-old

» After school threats, Dayton-area children face next step: Court

Miami bridge collapse: What is accelerated bridge construction?

The University City Bridge, the pedestrian bridge on the campus of Florida International University that collapsed on Thursday, apparently leaving several dead, was built under a process called Accelerated Bridge Construction.

>> Read more trending news

The bridge, a 950-ton structure, slammed down onto 8th Street, the roadway known as the Tamiami Trail, landing on at least eight vehicles in addition to hitting some pedestrians who were crossing the road at the time.

>>7 things to know about the fiery I-85 bridge collapse

The bridge was put in place about a week ago but had not been opened to pedestrian traffic. The bridge was designed by FIGG Bridge Group, a Boston firm, and built using the ABC method.

>>Where is the Florida pedestrian bridge collapse?

What is Accelerated Bridge Construction and how does it work? Here’s a look at ABC:

  • ABC projects are constructed offsite and moved to the site to be put together and anchored in place.
  • From the Federal Highway Administration: “The most common form of ABC is the use of prefabricated bridge elements. These elements can be fabricated in a controlled environment off-site and assembled in place at the bridge site. This construction method can best be described as building blocks. The prefabricated elements are connected at the site to form a complete bridge. Prefabrication of beams is not a new concept. Virtually all bridges are currently built with prefabricated beams and girders.”
  • According to a website post from FIU on a page that has since been taken down, but was cached by Google, ABC was used to build the bridge to help minimize the disruption to traffic on the eight-lane roadway it went over. “To keep the inevitable disruption of traffic associated with bridge construction to a minimum, the 174-foot portion of the bridge was built adjacent to Southwest 8th Street using a method called Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) and was driven into its perpendicular position across the road by a rig in only six hours on Saturday, March 10.”
  • From the FIU post: “Civil engineering doctoral student Dewan Hossain said: “I would say this is magic. In five hours using that ABC technology and sensors, the bridge is already there. In the classroom, we learn about the design, the construction, the safety – that’s a big issue – and here we’re seeing it actually happening. Here we are establishing a real, practical application of what we learn in the classroom. I would encourage more students to come view these types of projects to enhance what they learn.”
  • The FHA says ABC “uses innovative planning, design, materials, and construction methods in a safe and cost-effective manner to reduce the onsite construction time that occurs when building new bridges or replacing and rehabilitating existing bridges.”
  • The FHA also said about ABC: “A common reason to use ABC is to reduce traffic impacts … because the safety of the traveling public and the flow of the transportation network are directly impacted by onsite construction-related activities. However, other common and equally viable reasons to use ABC deal with site constructability issues. Oftentimes long detours, costly use of a temporary structure, remote site locations, and limited construction periods present opportunities where the use of ABC methods can provide more practical and economical solutions to those offered if conventional construction methods were used.”
  • FIU hosts the Center for Accelerated Bridge Construction, a national center for education about and promotion of ABC.
  • The University City Bridge, built by the Munilla Construction Management, was designed to survive a Category 5 hurricane.

Firm partly behind Zakim Bridge designed collapsed Florida bridge

newly installed pedestrian bridge collapsed at Florida International University in the Miami area Thursday afternoon.

>> Photos: FIU pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami

WFXT in Boston has confirmed through a company representative that FIGG Bridge Group co-designed the bridge.

>> More: Pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami; several trapped

FIGG also co-designed the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge in Boston.

WFXT reached out to MassDOT for a statement: 

"We have a robust inspection program for the Zakim Bridge and are fully confident in the safety of the Zakim Bridge and all Commonwealth of Massachusetts bridges, as we follow federal standards for regular inspections. While the cause of the Miami pedestrian bridge collapse is unknown, the design of this pedestrian bridge is not similar to the design of the Zakim Bridge and is unique to the project site characteristics at its location in Miami." - Patrick Marvin, MassDOT

The TV broadcasts also showed several people being loaded onto ambulances immediately after the collapse.

>> Read more trending news

The 950-ton section of bridge was installed Saturday. The bridge's main 174-foot span was previously assembled by the side of the road while support towers were built at either end.

Photos: Miami pedestrian bridge collapses near Florida International University

The pedestrian bridge on the campus of Florida International University collapsed on Thursday, apparently leaving several dead. The bridge was built under a process called Accelerated Bridge Construction.

200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >