Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

news

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Sen. Tim Kaine’s son charged for role in pro Trump rally riot

 

Former Democratic vice presidential candidate US Sen. Tim Kaine’s son is facing charges for his alleged role in a riot that broke out at a pro Trump rally in Minnesota earlier this year.

Linwood Michael Kaine, 24, whose father, Sen. Tim Kaine, (D-VA), was Hillary Clinton’s running mate in the 2016 presidential election, was charged on Friday with three misdemeanor counts, including fleeing police on foot, concealing his identity and obstructing the legal process with force. He was initially facing second-degree riot charges.

>> Read more trending news

The “announcement of misdemeanor charges against Sen. Kaine’s son contains no suggestion that he engaged in disruptive behavior while at the rally, but are instead focused on his actions as he was arrested after he left,” Kaine’s spokeswoman, Miryam Lipper, said in a statement.

“Tim and Anne support their son and hope the matter is resolved soon,” Lipper said.

The charges stem from an incident on March 4 at the state Capitol in St. Paul when a group of 125 protesters wearing all black — with some covering their faces — stormed a Trump rally. Demonstrators tossed a smoke bomb into the crowd of about 400, sprayed pepper spray and blew whistles and air-horns, inciting a riot. They scattered as police arrived, but Kaine was caught. Seven others were also charged for their participation in the chaos.

>> Related: US sen. Tim Kaine’s son arrested at Trump rally

“When people seek to prevent others who are peacefully assembled from making their voices heard, it threatens the very foundation of our democracy,” Ramsey County Attorney John Choi said.

 

Study: Dads’ Brains Respond Differently To Daughters Than Sons

Study: Dads’ Brains Respond Differently To Daughters Than Sons

Missing woman lost at sea still puzzling authorities, husband questioned in disappearance

On Tuesday night, a neighbor watched out the window of her condo west of the city as official-looking men wearing powder-blue latex gloves searched Lewis Bennett’s car and questioned him as he stood nearby.

Neighbors say they last saw Isabella Hellmann weeks before Bennett, her newlywed husband, says he left with her on a two-week romantic sailing jaunt through the Tropics — one that ended with Bennett being rescued at sea and Hellman missing.

>> Read more trending news

Bennett said his catamaran struck something while he slept and that he came topside to find the boat sinking and no trace of his new wife — a 41-year-old real estate broker, his wife of just three months and the mother of the couple’s 9-month-old daughter.

The Coast Guard and the FBI both have confirmed they are jointly conducting a “missing person investigation” into Hellmann’s disappearance.

The Palm Beach Post has been unable to reach Bennett, 40, a dual British-Australian citizen with few ties to Florida and an enigmatic past. Hellmann’s family spoke briefly at the start of a Coast Guard search that would cover four days and 6,600 miles, an area nearly three times the size of Palm Beach County. Since then, relatives have declined to speak with The Post.

>> Related: Husband to start own search for wife presumed missing at sea

What happened in those evening hours on the high seas, about 70 miles southeast of Key West, remains, in large part, a mystery. Authorities do know some details, but haven’t yet revealed them. They’re remaining silent about other pieces of the puzzling disppearance.

On May 17, the night before the U.S. Coast Guard called off the search, neighbor David Mayer said last week he approached Bennett to express his concern and sympathy.

“He said, ‘Yeah. I’m going to be leaving for England. I’ve got to move on with my life,’ ” Mayer recalled. “I said, ‘What about the baby?’ He stopped and said, “Oh. I guess I’ve got to take her with me, too.’”

Read more here.

8 Dead In Shooting Spree In Rural Mississippi, Suspect Arrested After Manhunt

8 Dead In Shooting Spree In Rural Mississippi, Suspect Arrested After Manhunt

$8 Wine At Aldi Wins Prestigious Award

$8 Wine At Aldi Wins Prestigious Award

8 dead in shooting spree in rural Mississippi, suspect arrested after manhunt

Mississippi authorities have a suspect in custody in the overnight shooting deaths of eight people, including a Lincoln County sheriff’s deputy.

>> Read more trending news

Alleged shooter Willie Cory Godbolt, of Bogue Chitto, Mississippi, about 70 miles outside Jackson, has been arrested and charged in the killing spree, investigators said.

The Clarion-Ledger reported that Godbolt’s murder spree started late Saturday night when a sheriff’s deputy responded to a homeowner who wanted Godbolt removed from their property. 

He was arrested Sunday morning after a manhunt involving several police agencies.

Police said the killings occurred at three separate homes in Lincoln County.

It’s unclear whether the attacks were premeditated, and although police say they have identified a motive, they are not releasing it. Authorities have also not yet released the names of the victims.

The Clarion-Ledger interviewed Godbolt, who says he committed the murders because he loved his wife and children and Bogue Chitto.

“I ain’t fit to live, not after what I done,” he said after his arrest. The newspaper recorded video of the suspect talking as he sat with hands cuffed behind his back on a roadside surrounded by law enforcement officers.

Godbolt said he was talking with his wife and members of her family when somebody called authorities.

“I was having a conversation with her stepdaddy and her mama and her, my wife, about me taking my children home,” the suspect says on the video. “Somebody called the officer, people that didn’t even live at the house. That’s what they do. They intervene.”

>> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here

“They cost him his life,” the suspect said, apparently referring to the slain deputy. “I’m sorry.”

The suspect also said he did not intend for police to capture him alive.

“My intentions was to have God kill me. I ran out of bullets,” he said. “Suicide by cop was my intention.”

Godbolt is jailed on at least eight murder charges as the investigation continues. 

Shelby Lin Erdman contributed to this report.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

 

Official: Driver Who Drove Over Wet Concrete To Pay $10k In Damages

Official: Driver Who Drove Over Wet Concrete To Pay $10k In Damages

Kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart shows off new baby

Kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart has posted photos of her new baby boy on Instragram.

>> Read more trending news

The photos feature her husband Matthew Gilmour, daughter Chloe, 2, and newborn son James.

“These people are my whole world,” Smart wrote in a caption of a family portrait. “Whenever I look at them I realize how fortunate I am. I hope I never forget what a blessing a safe, healthy, happy family is.”

Earlier this month, the proud parents took baby James to get a “special blessing.”

“The sunshine made today the perfect day for an adventure with great Granny and Grandpa, and great uncle Neville!” she wrote in a photo caption of the family visiting with Gilmour’s parents in Scotland, where he’s from.

Another photo shows Chloe and James snuggling.

“Nothing better then seeing my two babies love on each other!” Smart wrote.

Smart was kidnapped from her bedroom in her home in Salt Lake City in 2002 when she was 14 by a homeless man, who her father had employed as a handy man, and his wife. She was rescued nine months later by police just 18 miles from the family home. 

Suspect, Brian David Mitchell, and his wife, Wanda Ileen Barzee, were eventually convicted in the Smart kidnapping and assault case. 

 

 

Police: 'Movie Money' Being Used To Defraud Florida Retailers

Police: 'Movie Money' Being Used To Defraud Florida Retailers

Woman Shopped At Wal-Mart While Children 2, 5, Locked In Trunk, Police Say

Woman Shopped At Wal-Mart While Children 2, 5, Locked In Trunk, Police Say
200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >