Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

gen politics

161 items
Results 1 - 10 of 161 next >

Sean Hannity speaks out after Fox News retracts Seth Rich story

Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich was shot and killed in 2016 in what authorities have said was an attempted robbery.

Since his death, some conservative media outlets have suggested that Rich had been in contact with WikiLeaks – a claim Rich's family said it had "seen no evidence" of – and may have been killed for political purposes, CNN reported. Recent developments regarding former FBI Director James Comey’s firing and the investigation into any potential collusion between President Donald Trump’s administration and the Russian government also were met with stories suggesting a cover-up in Rich’s death.

>> Read more trending news

The slain DNC staffer’s family has since asked outlets to stop touting the conspiracy theory, according to CNN.

On Tuesday, Fox News retracted one of its stories about Rich.

Many wondered how Fox News anchor Sean Hannity would react, as he has spent a great deal of time discussing the conspiracy theory.

On Tuesday, Hannity told his radio audience that he would stay the course.

“I feel so badly for this family and what they have been through and what they are going through,” he said, mentioning the family’s desire to “find the truth.” Hannity also said he sent his “thoughts and prayers.”

>> Listen here

From there, Hannity said finding a connection between WikiLeaks and a whistleblower in the DNC – “take Seth out of it” – was important as “the Russia collusion narrative is hanging by a thread.” Hannity suggested that the existence of the whistleblower would show that the source of the WikiLeaks revelation came from an internal source, not Russia.

“These are questions that I have a moral obligation to ask,” he said, promising to “do the mainstream media’s job.”

“And all you in the liberal media, I am not FoxNews.com. I retracted nothing,” he added.

Audio from Hannity’s show was shared by several sources, including liberal watchdog group Media Matters for America. The Fox News anchor accused the organization of trying to get him fired, referencing its published list of his advertisers:

But later Tuesday evening, Hannity appeared to soften his tone during his television show.

"Out of respect for the family's wishes for now, I am not discussing this matter at this time," Hannity said.

He added, “To the extent to my ability, I am not going to stop trying to find the truth. ... And at the proper time, we shall continue and talk a lot more." 

>> Watch the clip here

Photos: Trumps meet Pope Francis at Vatican

President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and their entourage – including first daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner – met Pope Francis at the Vatican during the president’s trip to Italy.

Monica Lewinsky rips Roger Ailes for launching 'culture of exploitation'

Monica Lewinsky penned an op-ed piece in the New York Times ripping former Fox News chairman Roger Ailes, who died last week.

She opened her piece by saying her words are not meant to be another obituary for Ailes, but "I hope, instead, an obituary for the culture he purveyed — a culture that affected me profoundly and personally,” she wrote.

>> Former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes dead at 77

She continued, “Just two years after Rupert Murdoch appointed Mr. Ailes to head the new cable news network, my relationship with President Bill Clinton became public. Mr. Ailes, a former Republican political operative, took the story of the affair and the trial that followed and made certain his anchors hammered it ceaselessly, 24 hours a day.”

>> Medical examiner: Roger Ailes' death was accidental

She emphasized that their tactic worked like a charm. The Clinton-Lewinsky scandal hooked viewers as it unraveled, turning casual viewers into Fox loyalists. Fox cemented itself as the No. 1 news station, where it has remained for the last 15 years. Lewinsky also said that last year, the network made about $2.3 billion.

Lewinsky called it “a culture of exploitation,” and she railed on the environment fostered at Fox News and other cable news networks that use titillating stories to drive ratings.

"Their dream was my nightmare. My character, my looks and my life were picked apart mercilessly,” Lewinsky wrote. “Truth and fiction mixed at random in the service of higher ratings. My family and I huddled at home, worried about my going to jail — I was the original target of Kenneth Starr’s investigation, threatened with 27 years for having been accused of signing a false affidavit and other alleged crimes — or worse, me taking my own life. Meantime, Mr. Ailes huddled with his employees at Fox News, dictating a lineup of talking heads to best exploit this personal and national tragedy."

>> Read more trending news

Lewinsky said the firing of Ailes after sexual harassment allegations, and more recently the firing of disgraced former Fox News ratings king Bill O’Reilly following multiple sexual harassment allegations and some $13 million in settlements paid to women, shows that Fox News’ culture extended beyond the ratings game.

“The irony of Mr. Ailes’s career at Fox — that he harnessed a sex scandal to build a cable juggernaut and then was brought down by his own — was not lost on anyone who has been paying attention,” Lewinsky wrote.

Billy Bush opens up about Trump 'Access Hollywood' tape

It’s been almost seven months, and Billy Bush is ready to talk.

Bush opened up to The Hollywood Reporter about the infamous “locker room talk” tape involving President Donald Trump that resulted in Bush losing his job at NBC. In the column, he said that he’s seen the tape only three times, once just before it was leaked and twice ahead of the interview with THR.

He admitted that seeing the tape left him feeling “totally and completely gutted.”

>> Read more trending news

“Looking back upon what was said on that bus, I wish I had changed the topic,” he said. “(Trump) liked TV and competition. I could’ve said, ‘Can you believe the ratings on whatever?’ But I didn’t have the strength of character to do it.”

Bush also claimed that “plenty of people” knew about the tapes at NBC.

“I was kind of bopping along, and I don’t know if it was God or what that said, ‘OK, you’ve developed. You’re a pretty good guy. Let’s see how you handle this.’ And ka-boom!” he said. “It all comes apart.”

Despite being fired, Bush said he remains in contact with "Today” show co-hosts Matt Lauer and Hoda Kotb. As for his plans for the future, Bush said he is still hoping to get back into TV.

He has been pitching a new series to focus on pop culture, sports and celebrity interviews and said he hopes to show fans his softer, more empathetic side.

'SNL' season finale touts The Rock for president, features Trump's take on 'Hallelujah'

President Donald Trump will have one less thing to tweet about – at least for the next few months.

Saturday Night Live's 42nd season came to a close this weekend in a star-studded finale featuring five-time host Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and musical guest Katy Perry, as well as cameos by Tom Hanks and Scarlett Johansson. 

>> Read more trending news

The episode kicked off with its Trump team – including Alec Baldwin as the president and Johansson as first daughter Ivanka Trump – singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." The sketch was a reprise of the show's post-election cold open, which featured McKinnon, playing defeated Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, performing the same song.

"I'm not giving up because I did nothing wrong, but I can't speak for these people," Baldwin's Trump told the audience.

>> Watch the sketch here

But the political talk didn't end there. During his monologue, Johnson jokingly announced that he will run for president in 2020 with Hanks as his running mate. 

"In the past, I never would have considered running for president," Johnson said. "I didn't think I was qualified at all, but now, I'm actually worried that I'm too qualified."

Hanks added, "Well, the truth is, America needs us. No one can seem to agree on anything anymore, except two things."

"Pizza and us," Johnson quipped.

>> Click here to watch

Later in the show, Hanks appeared in another callback as the wildly popular (and bizarre) David S. Pumpkins – with a twist. The character, renamed David S. Pimpkins, was one of several guest stars in a rap video with an overabundance of featured artists.

>> Click here to watch the sketch (WARNING: Profanity)

The season finale also marked the last SNL episode for cast members Bobby Moynihan, who will star in CBS's "Me, Myself & I," and Vanessa Bayer, who shared the news that she was leaving the show in an Instagram post Saturday.

>> Click here to watch Moynihan as "Drunk Uncle"

>> Click here to watch Bayer as meteorologist Dawn Lazarus (WARNING: Profanity)

Trump responds to reports that he revealed classified info to Russia

President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday morning to respond to reports that he revealed classified information during a recent meeting with Russian officials.

>> WaPost: Trump revealed classified information to Russia during recent meeting

"As President I wanted to share with Russia (at an openly scheduled W.H. meeting) which I have the absolute right to do, facts pertaining to terrorism and airline flight safety," Trump wrote. "Humanitarian reasons, plus I want Russia to greatly step up their fight against ISIS & terrorism."

Miss USA says affordable health care is a 'privilege,' not a right

The reign of the newly crowned Miss USA is off to a rocky start.

Even before Kara McCullough, Miss District of Columbia, was announced the winner, social media was in a frenzy over her responses during the Q&A segment of the broadcast.

McCullough, a 25-year-old physical scientist at the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, was asked whether affordable health care for all U.S. citizens is a right or a privilege.

>> Photos: Miss District of Columbia Kara McCullough wins Miss USA 2017

“I’m definitely going to say it’s a privilege,” she said. “As a government employee, I am granted health care, and I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you have to have jobs.”

McCullough also set fingers a-tweeting when she said she did not consider herself a feminist.

McCullough, a woman of color, said she was worried about how audiences would view her natural hair in a sea of straight and teased pageant locks.

>> Read more trending news

“When I chose to wear my hair curly, I was afraid. I didn’t know how people were going to accept it, if anyone was going to be receptive to it at all, but I felt like a Grecian goddess on stage!” she told Refinery 29.

But it was her viewpoints that ended up as the topic of debate rather than her hairstyle:

McCullough is a 2013 graduate of South Carolina State University, a historically black college in Orangeburg, South Carolina.

She follows the reign of Deshauna Barber, the former Miss USA who also hailed from D.C.

The organization, once owned by President Donald Trump, was sold in 2015 to talent agency and entertainment company WME/IMG.

'Morning Joe' hosts: Kellyanne Conway said she needed to take shower after defending Trump

"Morning Joe" hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski made some controversial claims Monday about the off-air behavior of White House adviser Kellyanne Conway during President Donald Trump's campaign.

While they admittedly aren’t Conway’s biggest fans, they suggested in their criticism that Conway, who was a member of Trump’s campaign team and later became campaign manager, secretly has a distaste for Trump.

>> Read more trending news

Brzezinski made the following claims about Conway’s off-air attitude:

"This is a woman, by the way, who came on our show during the campaign and would shill for Trump in extensive fashion, and then she would get off the air, the camera would be turned off, the microphone would be taken off, and she would say, ‘Blech, I need to take a shower’ because she disliked her candidate so much," Brzezinski said.

Scarborough added: "I don't know that she ever said, 'I'm doing this for the money,' but, 'This is just my summer vacation, my summer in Europe' and basically, 'I'm gonna get through this.'"

>> Watch the clip here

(H/T Mediaite)

Glenn Beck offers Bill O'Reilly a job with The Blaze in on-air interview

Glenn Beck, founder of conservative media outlet The Blaze, offered former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly a job in an on-air interview Friday. The two are former colleagues at Fox News.

>> Bill O’Reilly breaks silence on podcast

Beck left the network in 2011; Fox executives told Politico that he was losing sponsors, while Beck contends that he had “differences” with the network, including invoking his religious beliefs on-air. O’Reilly was fired earlier this year.

The offer came during a segment that saw O’Reilly praise Beck for having the foresight to leave Fox and control “his own destiny,” – unlike him. O’Reilly has claimed his firing was a “hit job” and that he was specifically targeted.

>> Read more trending news

In the interview, O’Reilly states that his firing has to do with “destroying voices that the far left doesn’t like,” not the allegations of harassment that led to $13 million in settlements paid out to his accusers since 2016.

Beck offered this in response to O’Reilly’s praise.

“I thank you for that, Bill, and I would like to say publicly ... it’s why I would like you to work for The Blaze. ... I could not get the cable coverage by myself because I’m not powerful enough, unless you have a giant corporation behind you. ... If we could unite our powers for good, as opposed to evil — but that’s another conversation.”

It’s not clear what “evil” Beck was referring to.

>> Listen to the segment here

Second Trump golf course vandalized in 2 months

Another golf course run by the Trump Organization has been vandalized

>> Watch the news report here

This time, the Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point in New York fell victim. Three vandals allegedly broke onto the course and cut down four trees Tuesday morning, according to CNN

The vandals left behind one of their chainsaws at the course owned by New York City, but operated by Trump, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

The crime carries possible charges of felony criminal mischief.

A similar incident happened in March at Trump National Golf Club in California. Activists broke in and carved “No more tigers. No more wood,” into the green. 

Read more at CNN.

161 items
Results 1 - 10 of 161 next >