Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

gen politics

200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >

Trump tears into Russia 'dossier,' Hillary Clinton and Uranium One in Twitter spree

President Donald Trump began his Sunday by laying into his political enemies.

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

On Sunday morning, Trump tweeted about the now-infamous “dossier” prepared by intel group Fusion GPS.

Recently, reports revealed the Clinton campaign was one of the major backers of the dossier.

>> Trump ally Roger Stone suspended from Twitter after profanity-laden rant

Trump also tweeted about the “Uranium Deal" – a reference to reportedly unfounded allegations that Hillary Clinton allowed the sale of uranium to Russian energy agency Rosatom in exchange for a $145 million donation to the Clinton Foundation – as well as Clinton’s email scandal. Fact-checking sites such as Snopes and FactCheck.org have disputed those claims.

>> Read more trending news

“There is so much GUILT by Democrats/Clinton, and now the facts are pouring out,” Trump tweeted. “DO SOMETHING!”

Although the tweets came just days after reports that a grand jury approved the first charges filed in special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation, White House lawyer Ty Cobb told NBC News that Trump's tweets were not "a reaction to anything involving the special counsel, with whom the White House continues to cooperate."

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Donald Trump thanks Jimmy Carter for 'nice remarks' about media coverage

President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday morning to thank former President Jimmy Carter for his remarks about “how badly I am treated by the press.”

>> See the tweet here

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

Trump was referring to a recent interview with the New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd that had the Georgia native asserting the “media have been harder on Trump than any other president certainly that I’ve known about.”

>> Trump ally Roger Stone suspended from Twitter after profanity-laden rant

Added Carter: “I think they feel free to claim that Trump is mentally deranged and everything else without hesitation.”

>> Donald Trump slams Michael Moore's Broadway show as 'total bomb'; filmmaker fires back

Also in that interview, the Democrat offered Trump his services to negotiate with North Korea’s leader – an offer the White House formally rebuffed on Friday.

>> Read more trending news

The 93-year-old repeated that he and his wife Rosalynn voted for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton in last year’s Democratic primary. He questioned whether Russia’s attempts to interfere in the election changed “enough votes, or any votes” to matter. And he knocked some of former President Barack Obama’s foreign policy decisions.

Trump ally Roger Stone suspended from Twitter after profanity-laden rant

Longtime President Donald Trump associate Roger Stone was suspended from Twitter on Saturday after lashing out at CNN’s Don Lemon and other members of the press on Friday night, Politico reports.

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

>> Donald Trump slams Michael Moore's Broadway show as 'total bomb'; filmmaker fires back

In what appeared to be a response to CNN’s Friday night report that the first charges have been filed in the Russian election meddling investigation, Stone reportedly tweeted a profanity-laden rant about Lemon, calling for the anchor to be mocked and punished. Stone also hurled inflammatory insults in the direction of Jake Tapper and Ana Navarro, reports said.

>> Read more trending news

“I have been informed that I have been suspended for 3 hours and 12 minutes,” Stone told Fox News in a text message. “While I am uncertain why, sometimes the stark truth offends some people. I’ll be baaaaaak.”

The account was still suspended early Sunday.

>> On Rare.us: The JFK documents are out, and the new wrinkles in history are aplenty

A spokesperson for Twitter indicated that the social media platform has policies prohibiting harassment and abuse, including inciting others to harass or abuse. Stone could face permanent suspension under the company’s guidelines.

Stone, who was interviewed by the House Intelligence Committee in its Russia probe, is a political consultant and longtime informal adviser to Trump and does not work for the White House in any formal capacity.

Donald Trump slams Michael Moore's Broadway show as 'total bomb'; filmmaker fires back

President Donald Trump tweeted on Saturday evening that although what he was about to say was “not at all presidential,” he was compelled to say that “Sloppy Michael Moore” had failed on Broadway.

>> On Rare.us: Don Trump Jr. critiques Michael Moore’s praise of Harvey Weinstein

Trump was referring to documentary filmmaker Michael Moore’s one-man play, “The Terms of My Surrender.”

The play – which Moore talked up in promos asking “Can a Broadway Show Bring Down a Sitting President?” – has completed a 12-week, 88-show run.

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

“While not at all presidential, I must point out that the Sloppy Michael Moore Show on Broadway was a TOTAL BOMB and was forced to close. Sad!” Trump tweeted.

>> See the tweet here

Moore fired back in a series of tweets blasting Trump's presidency.

"You must have my smash hit of a Broadway show confused with your presidency – which IS a total bomb and WILL indeed close early. NOT SAD," he wrote.

>> See the tweets here

Playbill said that while Moore's show was “not a box-office front-runner,” it “did play its fully scheduled run.”

>> Read more trending news

“Moore’s show began performances July 28 at the Belasco Theatre, where it opened officially Aug. 10. It was reported in May – when the show was announced – that it would play a 12-week limited engagement,” Playbill wrote. “While the show was not a box-office front-runner (grossing less than half of its potential most weeks and drawing in a capacity hovering in the mid 70 percentile), it did play its fully scheduled run.”

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Trump tombstone at elementary school's Halloween party stirs controversy

A Halloween party at an elementary school in Gloucester, Massachusetts, featured a controversial decoration – a tombstone with the president's name on it

>> Watch the news report here

Apparently, one of the parents brought the tombstone labeled "Don Trump" to West Parish Elementary School's recent "Halloween Happenings" party. 

"It's not a place to put out a political agenda of any kind. And it upsets me that somebody would think it was appropriate to expose young children to it," said Amanda Orlando Kesterson, chair of the Gloucester Republican Committee. 

It's no surprise Kesterson is defending a Republican president, but she also maintains she would do the same for any president, regardless of politics.

>> Read more trending news

"I had very many difficulties with many of the things President Obama did ... but the office of the president deserves respect," Kesterson said. 

She says the tombstone wasn't removed even after she complained to the principal about it. 

"While, according to the parent, this was designated to be humorous, a number of attendees rightfully felt that it showed disrespect," Telena S. Imel, the principal of West Parish Elementary, said in a statement. "In planning future events, it will be made clear to organizers that school is not the place to engage in or display political agendas or opinions." 

George H.W. Bush apologizes after actress Heather Lind accuses him of sexual assault

Former President George H.W. Bush is apologizing to an actress who claims he groped her during a private screening.

The incident allegedly took place in 2014.

Actress Heather Lind, who works on the AMC show "Turn Washington’s Spies," said the former president, now 93, grabbed her behind and told her a dirty joke right before a photo was taken.

Lind detailed the entire incident in a now-deleted Instagram post.

>> Read more trending news 

She claims former first lady Barbara Bush saw the whole thing and just rolled her eyes.

Bush's spokesman, Jim McGrath, issued an apology in a statement to People Wednesday morning. 

“President Bush would never – under any circumstance – intentionally cause anyone distress, and he most sincerely apologizes if his attempt at humor offended Ms. Lind,” the statement said.

By late Tuesday, Bush’s office issued another statement.

“At age 93, President Bush has been confined to a wheelchair for roughly five years, so his arm falls on the lower waist of people with whom he takes pictures,” the statement said. “To try to put people at ease, the president routinely tells the same joke -- and on occasion, he has patted women’s rears in what he intended to be a good-natured manner. Some have seen it as innocent; others clearly view it as inappropriate. To anyone he has offended, Pres. Bush apologizes most sincerely.”

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Larry Flynt offering up to $10M for information leading to Trump's impeachment

Hustler founder Larry Flynt is looking for information that will lead to President Donald Trump's impeachment – and he's willing to pay for it.

According to The Associated Press, the 74-year-old pornography publisher placed a full-page ad in Sunday's Washington Post to "announce a cash offer of up to $10 million" for the information. See the ad here.

"I do not expect any of Trump's billionaire cronies to rat him out, but I am confident that there are many people in the know for whom $10 million is a lot of money," the ad reads. "And just because you pay for information doesn't mean it's not good. Make no mistake, I fully intend to pay this entire sum."

>> Read more trending news

The ad continues: "Sure, I could use that $10 million to buy luxuries or further my businesses, but what good would that do me in a world devastated by the most powerful moron in history? I feel it is my patriotic duty, and the duty of all Americans, to dump Trump before it's too late."

This isn't the first time Flynt has offered money to derail Trump. The AP reported that Flynt offered $1 million during the 2016 presidential campaign for video or audio of Trump "behaving in an illegal or sexually demeaning manner."

Read more here.

'SNL' tackles Weinstein and Trump, transforms Kellyanne Conway into Pennywise

After facing criticism for ignoring the Harvey Weinstein scandal last week, "Saturday Night Live" slammed the Hollywood producer and tackled two of its favorite targets – President Donald Trump and White House adviser Kellyanne Conway – in this week's episode.

>> Harvey Weinstein booted from film academy

Saturday night's show, which featured host Kumail Nanjiani and musical guest Pink, kicked off with a fresh skewering of the president (Alec Baldwin), who ordered Vice President Mike Pence (Beck Bennett) to boycott everything from athletes' national anthem protests to Starbucks to a gay wedding. 

>> Read more trending news

"Outrageous. No one should disrespect the sanctity of marriage like that," Baldwin's Trump said. "As it says in my favorite verse of the Bible, double Corinthians, marriage is between a man and a woman – then another woman, then another woman and maybe one more if you've got it in you."

>> Watch the sketch here (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.)

The comedy show also took aim at Conway (Kate McKinnon) in a parody of "It," transforming her into a sewer-dwelling clown whose sights are set on CNN's Anderson Cooper (Alex Moffat). 

>> Click here to watch

The show then turned its attention to Weinstein. In one sketch, McKinnon appeared as fictional Hollywood icon Debette Goldry, who said Weinstein "was naked, hanging upside down from a monkey bar" when she met him in a hotel room. 

McKinnon's Goldry later talked about "a secret code" actresses used "to warn each other about creeps."

"The code was, 'He raped me,'" she said. "That way, if any men were listening, they'd tune us right out."

>> Watch the sketch here (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.)

Cast members Colin Jost and Michael Che also blasted the media mogul on "Weekend Update."

Addressing reports that Weinstein was seeking rehabilitation for sex addiction, Jost said, "Somehow, I don't think that's gonna help anybody. He doesn't need sex rehab; he needs a specialized facility where there are no women, no contact with the outside world, metal bars and it's a prison."

>> Click here to watch (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.)

Jimmy Carter offers to sit down with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un

Former President Jimmy Carter is offering to sit down with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, according to a retired University of Georgia professor – who has passed the word to a Korean newspaper.

>> Read more trending news

Park Han-shik, an emeritus professor of international affairs at the University of Georgia, reported having the conversation with Carter, according to the Korea JoongAn Daily:

>> PHOTOS: Jimmy Carter through the years

"'Carter wants to meet with the North Korean leader and play a constructive role for peace on the Korean Peninsula as he did in 1994,' Park, 78, told the JoongAng Ilbo over phone after meeting with the 93-year-old former president."Park, a prominent scholar of North Korea-related issues who has traveled to Pyongyang over 50 times, visited Carter, who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 for his work with the Atlanta-based Carter Center, at the former president’s home in Plains, Georgia, on Sept. 28."

>> Former President Jimmy Carter turns 93

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has requested confirmation from the Carter Center.

Trump-Corker feud heats up as senator says president's threats could lead to 'World War III'

President Donald Trump began his Sunday morning by attacking a Senate Republican on Twitter.

>> Trump's cryptic tweet about North Korea: 'Only one thing will work'

In three tweets directed at Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, Trump wrote:

"Senator Bob Corker 'begged' me to endorse him for re-election in Tennessee. I said 'NO' and he dropped out (said he could not win without my endorsement). He also wanted to be Secretary of State, I said 'NO THANKS.' He is also largely responsible for the horrendous Iran Deal! Hence, I would fully expect Corker to be a negative voice and stand in the way of our great agenda. Didn’t have the guts to run!"

Corker responded to the president’s tweet by saying, “It’s a shame the White House has become an adult day care center.”

>> See the tweet here

Corker also told The New York Times on Sunday that Trump's recklessness could send the country "on the path to World War III." Read the full report here.

The angry comments follow recent comments from Corker about Trump’s cabinet and its ability to keep the world from “chaos.”

>> Read more trending news

Last week, when asked about the NBC News report that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called the president a “moron,” Corker told reporters that the Cabinet functions to “separate our country from chaos, and [he supports] them very much” in a statement that could be read to imply that Trump was causing “chaos.” White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders addressed the statement, offering that Trump was the one “keeping the world from chaos.”

Corker announced in September that he would not be seeking reelection, after some deliberation. Trump reportedly asked Corker to run for re-election, though Trump claims in his latest string of tweets that Corker “begged” for his endorsement.

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >