Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!


200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

International cities reluctant to host 2024 Olympics

Of the five cities receiving bids for the 2024 Summer Olympics, Hamburg and Rome have already withdrawn.

That leaves Los Angeles, Paris and Budapest.

>> Read more trending stories  

The bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics was awarded to Beijing after Stockholm and Krakow, Poland, withdrew their bids.

Why the reluctance to host the games?

Budgetary concerns remain the primary deterrent. Security costs alone can rack up to billions of dollars, not to mention the time and money that goes into planning the games and constructing massive infrastructure projects, including thousands of hotel rooms to accommodate athletes and guests.

The return, according to many major economists, doesn't nearly offset the cost.

"The games overrun with 100 percent consistency. No other type of mega project is this consistent regarding cost overrun," researchers from Oxford's Saïd Business School wrote in an academic paper in 2013. "Other project types are typically on budget from time to time, but not the Olympics."

Public funding for the Olympics seems to be a model of the past, with Los Angeles relying on privatized financing and using existing sports stadiums as venues in its proposal to the International Olympic Committee.

With this model, the California city would actually make a profit.

Samsung stops making Galaxy Note 7 due to safety concerns

UPDATE, 5:46 a.m. ET: Samsung Electronics "has made a final decision to stop production" of the Galaxy Note 7 as reports come in that the smartphones are igniting, the Associated Press reported early Tuesday.

In a regulatory filing Tuesday, the company said it made the move for customers' safety.

Samsung previously halted sales of the phones worldwide and told users to turn off the devices and stop using them.

ORIGINAL STORY: Samsung has halted production of one on its newest phones after more reports about replacement models and is asking those who still have the phone to turn it off.

"Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available," the company said in a news release.

>> Read more trending stories  

The world's biggest smartphone maker recalled 2.7 million Galaxy Note 7 phones in early September after reports that the battery can catch fire, The New York Times reported.

Samsung had been replacing the original models of the phone with new devices that it claimed were safer.

The company promised consumers that the replacement devices had safe batteries, but a Southwest Airlines flight last week had to be evacuated after a Note 7 started smoking. The phone's owner said it was a replacement model. Samsung is investigating, The New York Times reported

Some mobile carriers in the U.S. stopped selling the phones after that and after other reports of the phones smoking or catching fire.

AT&T and Verizon said Sunday that the companies were stopping sales or replacements of the device. T Moble also announced that it was also halting the sales of the phone, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Verizon said that if customers didn't feel safe with their current Note 7s that they can replace it with another smartphone.

The Note 7 was introduced as a response to Apple's iPhone, retailing for about $900.

The second presidential debate: Live updates from Clinton vs. Trump

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will meet Sunday night in St. Louis for the second presidential debate.

On Friday, both candidates took hits, though many may have missed the release of hacked emails that included some of what Clinton is supposed to have said in speeches she  gave to large financial institutions.

What received far more attention was a video where Trump is heard using vulgar language about the way he could treat women because he was a “star.”

The format of the debate Sunday could lead to interesting questions about both candidates. It is a “town hall” setting where the moderators – ABC’s Martha Raddatz and CNN’s Anderson Cooper – will ask half the questions and members of the audience will ask the other half of the questions.

The debate begins at 9 p.m. (ET) and lasts for 90 minutes without commercial interruption.

Live updates

<iframe src="//;border=false" width="100%" height="750" frameborder="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe> <script src="//;border=false"></script> [View the story "Live updates" on Storify]

Second presidential debate: What time, what channel, live stream

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will meet in St Louis Sunday for the second presidential debate.

Before Friday, some had speculated that interest in the debate would not top the record-setting first debate which saw 84 million viewers tune in.

That’s probably not a safe bet anymore.

A video tape from more than a decade ago was released Friday, and in it Trump is heard using vulgar language about the way he could treat women because he was a “star.”

The GOP candidate heard from all corners of the party after the video went public, with some calling  for him to leave the race.

Trump insisted Saturday he would not drop out of the race. Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, canceled an appearance set for Saturday in Wisconsin.

The AP reported the video was obtained and released Friday by The Washington Post and NBC News. In the video, Trump, who was married to his current wife at the time, is heard describing attempts to have sex with a married woman. He also brags about women letting him kiss them and grab their genitals because he is famous.

There is no doubt Trump will be asked Sunday about his comments in the video, the only question is how early in the debate that will happen.

Here’s a quick look at the logistics for Sunday’s event.

What time does it start?

The debate begins at 9 p.m. It will be 90 minutes long, without commercial interruption.

Where can I see it?

The debate will be broadcast live on cable news networks, the three major networks and other media outlets including social media.

Where is it?

The debate is being held at Washington University in St. Louis, Mo.

What is the structure for the debate?

According to the Commission on Presidential Debates, the second debate will be a town-hall format. Moderators will posed half the questions, members of the audience the other half. The town meeting participants will be uncommitted voters selected by the Gallup Organization, the commission said.

Who will moderate the debate?

CNN’s Anderson Cooper and ABC’s Martha Raddatz will moderate the debate.

Will anyone else be on the debate stage?

No, the Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, and the Green Party candidate, Jill Stein, failed to qualify for a spot on the debate stage.

Pope Francis gets photobombed by grinning pooch

A happy dog stole the show Wednesday during the weekly general audience with Pope Francis.

The pope stopped to take photos with a group of dog trainers and their canine companions.

>> Read more trending stories

In a photo taken by Andrew Medichini for The Associated Press, a white dog with brown ears is seen being lifted up by its handler. The dog flashes a big grin at just the right moment.

>>Caught on camera: See more photos taken at just the right moment

Also on Wednesday, Francis spoke at the first global conference on faith and sport, urging sports industry professionals to keep corruption off the playing field, according to The Associated Press.

World’s oldest man celebrates bar mitzvah

The world’s oldest man has lived through two world wars and survived the Auschwitz concentration camp. Last weekend, 113-year-old Israel Kristal finally celebrated his bar mitzvah — a hundred years later than most Jewish males.

>> Read more trending stories 

Earlier this year, Guinness World Records awarded Kristal a certificate as the world’s oldest man. Born in Poland in 1903, Kristal missed his bar mitzvah — the Jewish coming-of-age ceremony celebrated when a boy turns 13 and passes into adulthood — because of World War I. 

Kristal’s daughter, Shulamith Kuperstoch, told the BBC that his children, grandchildren and nearly 30 great-grandchildren gathered over the weekend in Haifa, Israel, for the ceremony. Draped in a prayer shawl, Kristal was surrounded by his family as he recited the traditional Jewish prayer of gratitude.

“Everyone sang and danced around him. He was very happy,” Kuperstoch told NPR. “It was always his dream to have a bar mitzvah and he really appreciated the moment.”

Kristal was orphaned shortly after World War I and moved to Lodz to work for his uncle in the confectionery business. During the Nazi occupation of Poland in World War II, he was sent to Auschwitz and other concentration camps. His first wife and two children were killed in the Holocaust.

Kristal survived and married another Holocaust survivor. He moved with her to Israel in 1950 where he built a new family and a successful confectionary business.

7 things to know now: Hurricane Matthew; 'Birth of a Nation;' Bill Cosby

Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today.

What to know now:

 1. Hurricane Matthew: Hurricane Matthew is moving up the east coast of Florida, but, so far, he's staying offshore. The storm is a Category 3, with sustained winds of 120 mph. More than 300,000 are without power in Florida this morning.

2. Peace Prize: The Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos. Santos tried to end the country's civil war with FARC forces , but suffered a setback in those efforts when voters in Columbia rejected the peace deal Santos' government had proposed. The government has been at war with FARC forces for more than 50 years.

3. Bill Cosby: Lawyers for Bill Cosby have asked a judge to dismiss a sexual assault case against the comedian. According to his attorneys, the allegations brought against Cosby have "created a perfect storm of prejudice, bias, and delay.” They are asking that all charges against Cosby be dropped. Cosby was accused of assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004. More than 50 women have come forward to accuse Cosby of sexual misconduct.

4. Plane part found: Malaysia Airlines has confirmed that a piece of airplane debris that washed up on a beach on Mauritius in May came from the missing flight MH370. While the wing part is an important find, officials looking for the plane that disappeared more than two years ago say the part "does not, however, provide information that can be used to determine a specific location of the aircraft."

5. Birth of a Nation: The movie "Birth of a Nation" opens Friday nationwide. The film about the slave uprising led by Nate Turner has been overshadowed somewhat by rape allegations made against its director, Nate Parker. Parker was acquitted of the charges at trial in 2001. The woman who accused him of assaulting her when they were students at Penn State later committed suicide.

And one more

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are preparing for their second presidential debate set for Sunday. The format of this debate, to be held in St. Louis, is a town hall-type event. CNN's Anderson Cooper and ABC's Martha Raddatz will be co-moderators.

In case you missed it

Wait, what?

Colombian leader Juan Manuel Santos wins Nobel Peace Prize

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for his efforts to end a 52-year civil war that has killed more than 200,000 people. The award comes five days after voters in Colombia narrowly rejected a peace deal that the 65-year-old Santos helped craft.

>> Read more trending stories

"The referendum was not a vote for or against peace," the Nobel Committee said. "What the 'No' side rejected was not the desire for peace, but a specific peace agreement."

According to The Associated Press, the committee did not cite Santos' counterpart in the peace negotiations, Rodrigo Londono, the leader of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.

Santos and Londono, known as Timochenko, signed the peace deal last month.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it believes that Santos, despite the voters’ rejection, “has brought the bloody conflict significantly closer to a peaceful solution.

BREAKING NEWS The 2016 #NobelPrize #Peace is awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos— The Nobel Prize (@NobelPrize) October 7, 2016<script async src="//" charset="utf-8"></script>

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >