What was nerve-wracking for the passengers was downright terrifying for those watching.
A Wisconsin amusement park ride malfunctioned Wednesday, causing a heavy bungee cord to slam down on the concrete next to passengers preparing to be launched like a catapult.
Carrie Sueker and Trevor Larson, 13, were strapped in and ready to be launched into the sky when suddenly the launching cord snapped right next to them. The crash put a hole in the concrete. In the video of the mishap, the pair at first doesn’t seem to realize what happened.
“I knew something was wrong, but I didn’t realize the magnitude, I think, of what did go wrong,” Sueker told local reporters.
Mt. Olympus Theme Park and Resort reimbursed Trevor and Sueker for their night’s stay and the cost of the ride. The park also offered them another turn at the Catapult, which they politely declined.