Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

PHOTOS

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Naked man claiming he 'may be Jesus' arrested after trying to start fire 

An Indiana man was arrested after he was found naked in the backyard of a Kentucky home after allegedly attempting to start a fire, claiming he “may be Jesus,” Kentucky New Era reported.

>> Read more trending news

Austin Michael Johnson, 31, was arrested June 18 by Magoffin County Sheriff’s deputies in Johnson Fork, where he was reportedly naked and lying in the grass. Originally, Johnson would not give deputies his name but told them he “may be Jesus.”

Police said Johnson was behind a residence and had poured gasoline around the house. He then grabbed a service wire that provided electricity to an outbuilding on the property and attempted to start a fire, Kentucky New Era reported.

When chased away by the homeowner, Johnson got into a car in front of the house before exiting the vehicle and walking down the road. Deputies found him approximately 75 feet from the front gate of the home, Kentucky New Era reported.

Johnson was charged with third-degree burglary; first-degree indecent exposure, first offense; third-degree criminal trespassing; second-degree criminal mischief; giving an officer false identifying information; and public intoxication – controlled substance (excludes alcohol). 

A court date has not been scheduled, Kentucky New Era reported.

German explosion: 25 hurt, 4 seriously, in Wuppertal blast

At least 25 people were hurt in an explosion in Wuppertal, Germany, police said Sunday.

According to The Associated Press, four victims were hurt "severely" in the blast and ensuing fire late Saturday at a "several-story building." The other victims suffered slight injuries, the AP reported

>> Read more trending news 

"It can currently not be ruled out that there are still other people in the building," police said Sunday, according to Deutsche Welle. "The rescue efforts are ongoing."

Authorities are looking into what caused the blast, the AP reported.

Read more here.

'Fixer Upper' stars Chip and Joanna Gaines welcome baby boy, reveal his name

The latest addition to Chip and Joanna Gaines' family has arrived.

>> Chip and Joanna Gaines: 10 things to know

The "Fixer Upper" stars took to social media Saturday to announce the birth of their fifth child, sharing a photo of the baby boy and revealing his name.

>> ‘Fixer Upper’ stars Chip and Joanna Gaines fined $40,000 over EPA violations

"Our baby boy, Crew Gaines, is here and we couldn’t be more in love," Joanna wrote Saturday night on Instagram. "He made an unexpected (and speedy) entrance into the world two and a half weeks early – which is fitting given he was a sweet surprise from day one. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. We are so grateful."

>> See the post here

Earlier in the day, Chip tweeted: "And then there were 5.. The Gaines crew is now 1 stronger! 10 beautiful toes and 10 beautiful fingers all accounted for, and big momma is doing great!" He added the hashtag "#blessedBeyondBelief."

>> Read more trending news 

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

According to Country Living, the couple have two other sons, Drake and Duke, and two daughters, Ella and Emmie.

Read more here.

San Diego police shooting: 2 officers injured, suspect dead

Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California. 

Here is the latest information:

Update 1:43 a.m. PDT June 24: KNSD’s Omari Fleming reports that investigators are unsure whether the suspect died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or was killed by officers.

KSWB’s Andrew Luria tweeted that “hundreds of rounds may have been fired” in the shootout.

Update 1:07 a.m. PDT June 24: The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the suspect is dead. According to the newspaper, “a police dog went in and bit the suspect on the leg” after a robot searched the apartment. 

“After getting no response from the man, police determined he was dead shortly before 1 a.m.,” the Union-Tribune reported.

Update 1 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KSWB’s Andrew Luria, one of the wounded San Diego police officers “is currently in surgery with a life-threatening injury” after being shot in the chest. The second officer suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder but is “expected to be OK,” Luria tweeted.

Update 12:26 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KFMB reporter Steve Price, the shooting suspect “appears to be down” and has “head trauma.”

KSWB’s Andrew Luria reported that the suspect had been “wearing body armor.” Officers sent a robot into the apartment where he had been hiding, police said.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the suspect was “possibly deceased.”

The wounded San Diego police officers’ condition was not yet known, Price tweeted.

Update 12:01 a.m. PDT June 24: According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, police said a gunman shot at officers through a wall at an apartment complex off Rolando Court. A SWAT team was at the scene, where the suspected shooter was still inside the building, police said.

The newspaper reported that officers had taken another man into custody about 11:20 p.m. PDT but “ascertained within moments that he was not the shooter.”

Emergency personnel rescued a firefighter from the building after the two wounded police officers “and at least one firefighter were pulled out of the building on a ladder,” the Union-Tribune reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Please return for updates on this developing story.

World's Ugliest Dog Contest: Zsa Zsa the English bulldog slurps up 2018 title

An English bulldog has fetched the crown in the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog Contest in Petaluma, California.

>> PHOTOS: Zsa Zsa the English bulldog wins World's Ugliest Dog Contest

According to The Associated Press, Zsa Zsa, a 9-year-old pooch from Anoka, Minnesota, won the pageant Saturday, beating out more than a dozen less-than-pretty pups for the $1,500 grand prize.

>> PHOTOS: 2018 World’s Ugliest Dog contestants

>> 2018 World’s Ugliest Dog Contest: Contestants, how to vote and past winners

According to the event's website, Zsa Zsa "was a puppy mill dog for five years in Missouri, and instead of placing her in a loving home at her end of breeding, she was put in a dog auction." After Underdog Rescue saved the uncomely canine, current owner Megan Brainard found her on Petfinder and adopted her.

>> Read more trending news 

Check out some memorable moments from this year's contest below:

Read more here.

Photos: Zsa Zsa the English bulldog wins World's Ugliest Dog Contest

Zsa Zsa, a 9-year-old English bulldog, won the title Saturday night at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds in Petaluma, California.

2-year-old trapped under rock pile survived, thanks to cop with background as stone mason

A two-year old trapped under a massive pile of rocks in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, was released from the hospital Saturday, thanks to a police officer with a unique talent.

>> Read more trending news 

It turned out the responding Portsmouth officer, T.J. Potter, had previous experience as a professional stone mason and specialized in historical foundation repair.

Potter's experience helped him accurately assess the danger the child was in and properly remove the slabs from on top of the child.

"[It was] a five man stone or a five man block which indicated that you would need four to five people to life it and set it on a wall, and we have done stones like that and built with stones like that, so I knew we could lift it by hand," Potter said.

"I think that was the main concern – can we lift it off the boy?"

Authorities responded to 325 Little Harbor Road after a distress call about a 2-year-old trapped under a pile of rocks. 

>> Trending: Mass. Gov. Charlie Baker’s son accused of sexually assaulting woman on JetBlue flight

When officers arrived, they found the boy pinned between large slabs of stone.

The boy had been playing on top one of the stone slabs with his grandfather when the slab he was standing on dislodged. The child fell forward and was trapped by the slab, which came to rest on his head.

The stone slabs are being used to build a foundation for a seawall and each slab is estimated to weigh several hundred pounds.

The situation was highly delicate, police said, because one of the stone slabs was resting on the child's head, and could have given way at any moment, putting the child at risk of sustaining the full weight of the stone on his head.

After a coordinated effort by police and firefighters, rescuers freed the boy in about nine minutes.

The child's parents were able to keep him calm as first responders worked their way around the stone slabs and rescued him.

>> Trending: 4 children killed in violent police standoff laid to rest in Florida

The child was first given emergency medical treatment at the scene then transported to the Portsmouth Regional Hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

17-year-old twin sister shot, killed in road rage incident, police arrest suspect

Metro Atlanta police have made an arrest in the shooting death of a teenage girl in a possible road rage incident Wednesday at a busy intersection in Dacatur.

>> Read more trending news 

Janae Owens, 17, was in a car with her mother at a red light Wednesday evening when police said a man in a black car opened fire, killing Owens and injuring her mother.

Decatur police arrested a man identified as Simmie Rishcard Reed late Friday night after an anonymous tip. Reed has been charged with one count of murder, two counts of aggravated assault with intent to murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

>> Related: Police: Road rage escalates to gunfire, kills 1 teen, injures another in Decatur

Owens’ family recently moved from Shreveport, Louisiana, to metro Atlanta for a better life, WSB-TV reported.

Investigators told the news station the gunfire was aimed at Owens’ mother, who was driving the car.

The woman’s injuries are not considered life-threatening. Owens’ twin sister was sitting in the back seat and was not injured in the shooting, according to WSB.

Police think road rage may have fueled the gunfire, but Sgt. John Bender told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution the motive is still unknown.

Police said although Reed is behind bars, it is still an ongoing investigation.>> Related: 17-year-old twin sister shot, killed in road rage incident, family distraught as police search for killer

Reed is scheduled to make a first court appearance Monday afternoon.

Marriage may lower risk of heart attack, stroke, study suggests

Single, divorced and widowed individuals may have a higher risk of developing heart disease, stroke and associated risks of death compared to married individuals.

>> Read more trending news 

That’s according to new research published this week in the journal Heart, for which scientists trawled research databases to understand how marital status may influence risk of cardiovascular disease.

Their pooled analysis included 34 studies (1963 to 2015), the largest study to date on the subject, and involved more than 2 million people aged between 42-77 from multiple regions of the globe, including from North America, Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Scandinavia.

>> Related: Heart attack sufferers more likely to survive if doctor is away, study says

Compared to married individuals, those who were never married, or are divorced/widowed, had a 42 percent higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease and 16 percent higher risk of developing coronary artery heart disease.

Those who had never been married had a heightened risk of dying from both heart disease (42 percent) and stroke (55 percent).

>> Related: You may be able to better avoid heart attacks with this common snack, study says

Divorce was associated with a 35 percent higher risk of developing heart disease for both men and women.

And widowed individuals were 16 percent more likely than married men or women to have a stroke, likely a result of stress-related theory, which suggests that losing a partner may have a negative impact on the emotional, behavioral and economic well-being of an individual.

>> Related: Got heart disease? You may have a better chance of survival if married

Researchers reported no difference in the risk of death following a stroke between married and unmarried individuals. However, risk of death after a heart attack was significantly higher (42 percent) among those who had never married.

“Social causation theory suggests that individuals benefit from spousal support,” study authors wrote. “For example, living with another person allows earlier recognition and response to warning symptoms, especially if a myocardial infarction becomes instantly disabling.”

>> Related: Women less likely than men to get CPR from bystanders - and more likely to die - study suggests

Studies have shown that unmarried patients had longer delays when seeking help, authors wrote in the report. These individuals are also twice as likely not to take prescribed medications, the strongest predictor of better outcomes.

Furthermore, greater financial resources from homes with dual incomes make quality healthcare more accessible.

The researchers note that there was no information on same sex partnerships or marriage quality in their report. The meta-analysis didn’t explore unmarried individuals living with someone, either.

>> Related: Do heart stents even work? New study finds they fail to ease chest pain

Future work, the authors suggest, should focus on whether being married is a “surrogate marker” of other health conditions or whether marital status should be considered a risk factor alone.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women, according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Approximately 610,000 people die of heart disease in the country every year–that's 1 in every 4 deaths.

>> Related: Common painkillers increase risk of heart attack by one-third, new study finds

More than 350,000 Americans who may or may not have diagnosed heart disease suffer a cardiac arrest each year in areas other than a hospital. And about 90 percent of them die.

Mass. Gov. Charlie Baker’s son accused of sexually assaulting woman on JetBlue flight

The son of Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker is accused of sexually assaulting a woman on a flight Wednesday, but no charges have been filed in the case.

>> Read more trending news   

The incident reportedly happened on a JetBlue flight when Baker’s son, Andrew Baker, known as A.J., was flying from Washington, D.C. to Boston.

Sources told Boston 25 News a female passenger accused A.J. of groping her breast on the flight.

"This is a personal matter for the Baker Family and A.J. will cooperate with any request from authorities," Baker’s office said in a statement.

JetBlue responded to requests for confirmation with a statement.

"On June 20, the crew of flight 1345 were notified of an incident between customers shortly before landing in Boston," the statement read. "The aircraft landed at approximately 11 p.m. local time where it was met by local authorities.”

Massachusetts State Police say charges have not been filed, and they are not investigating since it is not in the department's jurisdiction.

>> Trending: Death of Memphis soldier at Florida training camp is suspicious, family says

A.J. Baker's attorney, Roberto Braceras, released a statement on the allegations.

"A.J. is fully cooperating and looks forward to a resolution of this matter," Braceras said. 

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >