Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
102.3 WBAB
Last Song Played
L.I.'s Only Classic Rock!

news

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Mickey Mantle jersey from 1964 sells for record $1.32 million

A road jersey worn by New York Yankees Hall of Fame outfielder Mickey Mantle in 1964 sold for $1.32 million Saturday night, Sports Collectors Daily reported. The final price in the Heritage Auctions Summer Platinum Night sale, which included a 20 percent buyer’s premium, was a record price paid for any Mantle jersey.

>> Read more trending news 

Last year, Heritage Auctions sold an autographed Mantle road jersey from 1968, his final major-league baseball season, for $486,000, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

The uniform was photo-matched to Game 6 and Game 7 of the 1964 World Series in St. Louis, when Mantle hit the final two of his 18 World Series home runs, according to Heritage Auctions’ catalog listing. The games represented Mantle’s final appearance in the World Series; he appeared in the Fall Classic in 12 of his 18 major-league seasons.baseball

The jersey was classified as a 9 out of 10 by the MEARS grading service and was worn again by Mantle during the 1965 baseball season, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

Shots fired after person goes to wrong address in New Hampshire

Shots were fired after an unknown person entered a home in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, after getting an invitation on social media and going to the wrong address, police said.

>> Read more trending news 

Portsmouth police responded after hearing gunshots and a resident reporting an unknown man had entered her home.

The caller said she and her partner found the man parked in a car on the street, leading to her partner firing a pistol at the car as it fled from the area.

"We had no idea what we were dealing with," Brenna Cavanaugh said. "We feared for our lives."

Cavanaugh said the intruder had gotten into his car, backed into a pole across the street and then sped toward her and her partner.

"We just saw a car coming at us at a very high rate of speed, and that's not something you can fend off with a fistfight,” she said. “The whole thing's pretty upsetting, it could have ended in a tragedy."

Portsmouth police said the person went into the home after getting an invitation to an event on social media, but he didn't have the right address.

"He got a text over social media to meet up with some friends and unfortunately he was just at the wrong house," a police spokesman said. "A lot of scared people and some frayed nerves, but other than that, no one was harmed by any of the bullets fired."

Nobody was injured during the altercation, and no charges have been filed at this point, police said.

Police said the dangerous situation could have ended much worse, and Cavanaugh agreed.

However, she said she doesn't regret the couple's decision to defend themselves. 

"In an instant, you need to make a life or death decision," Cavanaugh said. "He (her partner) made the right decision, and I would hope he would do it again because we didn’t know who was behind that wheel."

California mall offers prime parking spaces -- for a price

A California mall is offering prime parking spots for its customers on the weekends -- for a price.

>> Read more trending news 

On Aug. 11, the Vintage Faire Mall in Modesto introduced a paid parking program called Front & Center Parking at its busiest entrance, The Modesto Bee reported.

There are 200 parking spaces designated in the “assisted valet service” area of the mall, and customers can park all day for $5, the newspaper reported. 

It deviates from traditional valet service, because while the attendant takes the customer’s money, the driver parks his or her own car.

“Over Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, we’re typically at capacity for parking, or close to it,” Vintage Faire Mall Marketing Manager Annie Amies told the Bee. “We just wanted to make it more convenient to shoppers who maybe didn’t want to look around the parking lot for spaces. It’s another service and amenity we thought shoppers would enjoy.”

Handicapped and electric vehicle charging spaces will remain free, the Bee reported. The service will remain in effect through Dec. 31, and while few drivers have taken advantage, it may become more popular during the holiday shopping season.

“For today, I figured it would be good because it gets packed on the weekends,” shopper Teresa Souza told the Bee on Saturday. “It made things a lot easier.”

Some of the mall tenants were not happy with the arrangement.

“This used to be the busiest entrance at the mall and now there are 20 cars parked there,” said Jeff Klotz, who runs a kiosk inside the mall near the premium parking entrance.

The Modesto mall is owned by Macerich, which owns and operates major retail real estate properties. Another mall owned by Macerich, the Freehold Raceway Mall in New Jersey, opened a similar service in July, NJ.com reported.

Small plane forced to land on Florida's 'Alligator Alley' highway

A mechanical problem forced a small airplane to make an emergency landing Saturday afternoon on a stretch of I-75 in South Florida known as Alligator Alley, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

>> Read more trending news 

The Cessna 172 lost power and landed on a lane for eastbound traffic in western Broward County, The Naples Daily News reported.

There were no injuries to the two people on board the aircraft, the Florida Highway Patrol reported.

Crews worked late into the evening to disassemble the plane, WFOR reported. Traffic was halted for two hours, the Daily News reported.

Trump compares Mueller probe to 1950s McCarthyism

President Donald Trump lashed out angrily Sunday morning on Twitter, labeling a report in The New York Times that a White House counsel cooperated with Robert Mueller’s investigation as a “fake story” and comparing the probe to the McCarthyism of the 1950s.

>> Read more trending news 

The Times reported that White House lawyer Donald McGahn had participated in at least three interviews with the special counsel that stretched to approximately 30 hours.

The president tweeted, “We are now in period with Mueller and his gang that make Joseph McCarthy look like a baby! Rigged Witch Hunt!”

“This is why the Fake News Media has become the Enemy of the People,” Trump wrote in another tweet. “So bad for America!”

McGahn and his lawyer, William A. Burck, said they believed the president was setting them up to take the blame for any possible illegal acts of obstruction, the Times reported.

McCarthy, a U.S. senator from Wisconsin, spent nearly five years attempting to root out Communist sympathizers in the U.S. government. He was censured by the Senate after he attacked the Army during hearings in 1954.

Box office bomb: Kevin Spacey's new film takes in $126 on opening day

Kevin Spacey’s latest film was a box office dud on its opening day in theaters, taking in just $126, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

>> Read more trending news 

The crime-drama “Billionaire Boys” opened in eight theaters in several states and earned an estimated $500 for the weekend after it was released via video on demand last month, Entertainment Weekly reported.

The movie is not being shown in large cities such as New York or Los Angeles, but it can be seen in Miami, New Orleans and Phoenix, Entertainment Weekly reported.

It was Spacey’s first film release since a series of sexual allegations were made last year against the Academy Award-winning actor, Newsweek reported. The $126 boils down to about 13 tickets, the magazine reported.

Spacey portrays real-life con artist Ron Levin in the film, which stars Ansel Elgort, Emma Roberts and Taron Egerton.

Spacey, 59, was fired from the Netflix series “House of Cards” last November.

Actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of trying to force himself on Rapp during the 1980s, when Rapp was 14 and Spacey 26.

Soon afterward, a former television anchor accused Spacey of sexually assaulting her son. Twenty people who worked with Spacey at London’s Old Vic story also accused him of inappropriate behavior.

Mystery of infant found in Ohio phone booth in 1954 solved through DNA testing

The mystery surrounding a baby boy who was found in a telephone booth by bread delivery men in Ohio in January 1954 was solved 64 years later thanks to DNA testing, The Lancaster Eagle-Gazette reported. The man will be meeting his biological mother for the first time later this month, the newspaper reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Steve Dennis, 64, of Phoenix, said his birth certificate listed his place of birth in a telephone booth outside Yielky’s Drive-In near Lancaster, the Eagle-Gazette reported.

According to the Jan. 16, 1954, edition of the Eagle-Gazette, bread delivery men found a boy “believed to be between four and five weeks old” wrapped in blanket and inside a cardboard box at 7:30 a.m., with a bottle beside the infant.

Dennis said he first heard the story as a teen and never believed it. He does remember his adoptive parents, Stanley and Vivian Dennis, telling him he was adopted, the Eagle-Gazette reported.

"Luckily my parents told me early on that I was adopted, probably from the time I was three," he told the newspaper. "Most of that really had no impact on me. You hear it so much, it doesn’t faze you anymore.”

Dennis was adopted in February 1955 after being placed in a foster home. His family moved to Arizona when he was a child.

Dennis did not give his birth much thought until his daughters bought him an Ancestry.com DNA test, the Eagle-Gazette reported. He got his results back in January, along with a message from a man who said he was Dennis’ first cousin.

“He said 'I think I know who your mother is. We’ve heard throughout our lives that there’s a baby that we’re related to that was left in a telephone booth,'" Dennis told the Eagle-Gazette. "It was this like this hidden secret."

The newly found cousin connected Dennis to his half-sister, who lives in Baltimore. The woman said she had heard the phone booth story, too, and bought an Ancestry.com DNA to confirm the match.

“This deep dark secret of my biological mother, the kids had heard about this, but they weren’t sure if it’s true or not," Dennis told the Eagle-Gazette

The woman contacted Dennis’ biological mother, who is in her 80s and also lives in Baltimore.

“The mother has finally said she wants to meet with me," Dennis told the Eagle-Gazette. "Slowly week by week, she said 'I kind of remember.'”

Dennis said he was told his mother was 18 and forced to give up the infant by his father, the newspaper reported. He was born in a hospital in Kentucky and his parents were returning to Maryland through Ohio when the father took the baby and left him in a phone booth.

He has no other details about his biological father, the Eagle-Gazette reported. His mother married someone else and has two daughters, according to the newspaper. 

“It’s interesting. It’s not like earth-shattering or anything like that," said Dennis, who recently retired as a chiropractor. “My true parents, of course, were my adoptive parents. It would be almost impossible for me to think otherwise.”

Dennis said he is not sure what to expect if he meets his biological mother.

“I’d like to know my actual birthdate but, according to my sister, the mother said she doesn’t remember,” he told the Eagle-Gazette. “I’m not going to make a real big deal about of this. I’ll just take whatever she gives me and leave it at that. I mean you can’t hassle an 85-year-old woman … So whatever she feels comfortable saying to me, I’ll take. It’s more than I had before.”

Video shows Indianapolis store owner turning tables on thief

An Indianapolis store owner turned the tables on a man trying to rob his furniture store, pointing his weapon at the would-be thief, WXIN reported.

>> Read more trending news 

According to surveillance video released by the Indianapolis Metro Police Department, a man walked into the Decor Furniture store on July 5 and pulled a gun on owner Doyle Stinson, demanding money and ordering him to the back of the store, the Indianapolis Star reported. 

“I know you’ve got more money than that because this is a business,” Stinson, who pulled $10 out of his wallet to pay the man, said the suspect told him. “Once he gets me back to the back room that was a mistake. I go back here, I hit my silent alarm emergency button.”

Stinson told WXIN that he knew the man’s gun was not loaded, so he grabbed his own weapon.

“I knew when he pulled the hammer back on the automatic weapon there wasn’t a bullet in the chamber," Stinson told the television station. "I know the sound.”

Stinson then took aim with his gun, which was loaded, and the video shows the suspect fleeing the store, WXIN reported.

Stinson said he did not pull the trigger because he saw a boy in front of his store, and was concerned a stray bullet would hit him.

“If you’re shooting a 40 caliber, it’s going to go through him, through this merchandise, through that window, and what's beyond that window,” Stinson told WXIN. “He’s got a lot more to live than me. That’s true, that’s a little boy there.”

Instead, Stinson called 911 and briefly chased after the suspect before returning to his store.

The suspect remains at large, police said in a news release.

Oregon spectator injured by Kevin Stadler's shattered golf club

Spectators watching golf tournaments are always alert to errant balls flying into the crowd. A piece of a golf club is a different matter.

>> Read more trending news 

A spectator needed stitches Friday in Oregon when the head of Kevin Stadler’s golf club came loose and flew into the gallery at a Web.com Tour event, ESPN reported.

Stadler, 38, was playing in the WinCo Foods Portland Open at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club when he hit an errant tee shot at the 15th hole and slammed his 7-iron to the ground, The New York Post reported. The club head broke when it hit Stadler’s foot and flew into the crowd, hitting a spectator in the head, the newspaper reported.

The spectator needed six stitches, Web.com Tour rules official Orlando Pope told ESPN.

"It was a very freakish accident,'' Pope told ESPN on Saturday. “Kevin is devastated. He had trouble trying to finish the round. He was quite worried and felt so bad.”

Tournament officials did not release the name of the spectator. Stadler, the son of 1982 Masters champion Craig Stadler, missed the cut in the tournament. He was not available for comment, ESPN reported.

Shaun Micheel, who was playing in the same group as Stadler on Friday, posted about the incident on his Facebook account, according to ESPN.

“I had my head down but the club head flew behind me and hit a spectator to my right," Micheel wrote. “It's been awhile since I've seen so much blood. We stayed with him for about 15 minutes before the EMTs arrived. ...

“[Stadler] was absolutely shattered and we did our best to keep his spirits up. This was not done on purpose and we were astounded at the way the club was directed, but it just shows you how dangerous it is to throw or break clubs. Each of us in the group learned something today.”

Florida man shoots girlfriend once, returns and shoots her fatally, deputies say

A Florida man faces a first-degree murder charge after allegedly firing a shot at his girlfriend, fleeing the scene, then returning and shooting her a number of times, The Tampa Bay Times reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Nathaniel J. Yates, 32, of Largo, is accused in the shooting death of Christine Giles, 28, of Seminole, according to a news release from the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.

According to the news release, Giles was found unresponsive in a travel trailer parked outside of a Largo home at 11:14 p.m. Thursday and was pronounced dead from several gunshot wounds.

After determining Yates was the subject, deputies discovered the man already was in custody, charged on five counts for unrelated crimes committed at 4:30 a.m. Friday.

According to the news release, Yates and Giles were inside the travel trailer with Wesley Warn, 61, of Largo. Yates threatened Warn with a .380 caliber handgun, then pointed the gun at Giles and shot her once before fleeing the scene, the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies said Yates returned “a short time later” and shot Giles multiple times.

Witnesses told detectives that Yates and Giles had been dating for several months but had broken up, the Times reported. Although Giles had called off the relationship, deputies believed she and Yates were dating again at the time of the shooting, the Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

Yates was arrested about 2 p.m. Saturday on one charge of first-degree murder and one charge of aggravated assault, the Times reported.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >