Man infested with tapeworms after eating sushi: Hoax or real?


Update: states that this story is not accurate, and that the shocking images may be associated with a case from earlier this year involving raw pork or beef, not fish.

Original story: The man went to his doctor when he couldn’t get rid of stomach pains and itchy skin.

After an examination and x-rays, he was told the problem was tapeworms.

Lots of tapeworms.

Doctors at Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province in eastern China told the man it was likely he picked up the parasites by eating slices of raw fish, called sashimi.

The Journal Canadian Family Physician reports infestations like this are on the rise around the world.

Nancy Craig wrote, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi is a contributor."

It’s expected the man will be fine because treatment for the condition is simple and effective as long as the infection doesn’t reach the brain.

If it does, doctors say it can be fatal.

More here.  



Tape worm infestation

Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital
Tape worm infestation

Roger & JP In The Morning

Download The WBAB App

WBAB Blogs

Event Photos

First Responder Friday

Mobile Apps

Everything you love about and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.


Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!