UNION COUNTY, N.C. — The Union County Sheriff’s Office is inching closer to selecting a name for its newest employee.
According to WSOC-TV, Sheriff Eddie Cathey originally asked people to submit name suggestions in the Facebook comments on the office’s post introducing an 11-week-old German shepherd puppy, currently known as “Puppy Doe.”
On Friday, however, the sheriff’s office confirmed via a follow-up post that the field of names has been narrowed to the following nine possibilities, with votes being accepted through noon Monday, WSOC reported:
- Axel: Stands for “Father of Peace.” Honors U.S. Navy SEAL Matthew Axleson who sacrificed his life in Operation Red Wings during the war in Afghanistan in 2005.
- Griff: Honors Union County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Brian Griffin whose dedication and discipline has been instrumental in building the K-9 program.
- Honor: Recognizes the 158 law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty.
- Kane: Associated with “warrior” or “tribute” in various languages.
- Logan: In honor of a local young man who is on the autism spectrum and has dedicated his life to the care and well-being of all little creatures, especially dogs.
- Radar: A radar system is a vital tool utilized to monitor the locations of important people places and things in different situations.
- Thor: The name signifies strength and is often associated with thunder in Greek mythology.
- Union: In honor of Union County, which was founded in 1842.
- Valor: Defined as “strength of mind or spirit that enables one to encounter danger with firmness.”
“Please keep in mind that this vote will be based on the honor system as Facebook no longer offers a voting poll option. PLEASE KEEP THE VOTING FAIR AND ONLY LIKE/LOVE ONE OF THE PHOTOS/NAMES,” the sheriff’s office stated.
©2022 Cox Media Group